Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OFF TOPIC...New York Trip

cazzycazzy Posts: 8,764
So, I was in NYC for my first trip to the Big Apple from Tuesday through Sunday last week.  We had a great time, but we definitely had to change several plans due to the weather.  We've decided we're going back next fall and likely won't return during December anytime soon.  Not seeing real snow since 1985 in San Antonio, I actually thought I would enjoy it.  It was great at first, but I'm so over snow that it's not even funny.   :P

We ate some great food and had one major failure that i'll touch on below. 

Well, here are some pics from the trip:

Great artist in the Grand Central Terminal...wow...what a treat!

Matt Vorzimer (@eCussionist)

Here is a video of him performing sometime back (I didn't take it):

Never forget!!

Protect and Serve - Officer with the NYPD Counter Terrorism Unit

Central Park

Another cool subway performer!

And here is my failure...I was looking forward to Peter Luger's Steakhouse for 4 months and it sucked donkey balls.  How in the world could they ruin dry aged prime beef will never make sense to me.  We had two "steaks for two" and they both had zero beef taste and lacked the nutty flavor you typically get from dry age beef.  I'm still in shock! 

I will say that the double cut bacon was very good.

Steaks were ordered medium-rare plus

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 8,058
    Great pictures, man! I know what you mean by being over snow - lived in the Midwest (Chicago, then Iowa) for 10 years and i don't miss it the slightest bit. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,444
    Love the pictures, especially the Chrysler moon shot.
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,418
    Nice pics! Sorry to hear about the steaks :(
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Great pics.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

hapster said:

Hapster, when did you start bronzing yourself and rooting for the Mets?
  • I thought the first pic was a shot of Levon Helm 40 years ago

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 3,358
    Hapster, when did you start bronzing yourself and rooting for the Mets?

If that was @Hapster he would be puffing on a bronze cigar.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Love New York and your pix are great. A lot of restaurants in NYC live on an often undeserved reputation. We went to one of Guy Fieri's places near Times Square. It was a dirty dump with rude servers and the food was even worse. But I still love the city.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

Love New York and your pix are great. A lot of restaurants in NYC live on an often undeserved reputation. We went to one of Guy Fieri's places near Times Square. It was a dirty dump with rude servers and the food was even worse. But I still love the city.
    You went to the one restaurant where the reputation was completely deserved...

• Love New York and your pix are great. A lot of restaurants in NYC live on an often undeserved reputation. We went to one of Guy Fieri's places near Times Square. It was a dirty dump with rude servers and the food was even worse. But I still love the city.

Yes, I would have thought everyone and their brother would have seen that review by now.  

In any case, you should never eat at any restaurant adjacent to Times Square.  They're all overpriced and lousy.  Walk a few blocks, though, and there are some pretty decent places.  
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

In Durham, NC, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
  • @Cazzy where did you stay, I'm going soon and need a recommendation!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,764

Yes, I would have thought everyone and their brother would have seen that review by now.  

In any case, you should never eat at any restaurant adjacent to Times Square.  They're all overpriced and lousy.  Walk a few blocks, though, and there are some pretty decent places.  

We ate at Carmine's and passed Guy's on the way. It was fabulous! All of us enjoyed it!
    edited December 2013

@Cazzy where did you stay, I'm going soon and need a recommendation!

We actually went a different route this trip and tried out www.Airbnb.com

We basically rented someone's brownstone in Brooklyn. Really close to the A train and actually felt more like a New Yorker. $795 for 5 nights and didn't get screwed by NYC hotel tax. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    It wasn't all bad. We went to Nobu and had the best meal ever - we still talk about it. Alex Guarneschelli's old place, "Butter" was really nice too.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• MickeyMickey Posts: 17,317
    Thanks for the post. Nice
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• I love Carmines. Come hungry though. Holy cow are the portions huge
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,574
    You and your stupid, awesome pictures. What website did you find those on?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    henapple said:
    I found them here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photos-by-caz/381298808646906

What a loser! 
    :D
    henapple said:
    I found them here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photos-by-caz/381298808646906

What a loser! 
    :D
    Sneaky, sneaky man!   :P
    I love Carmines. Come hungry though. Holy cow are the portions huge
    Yeah man!  Really liked it!  4 of us split 1 order of Chicken Parmesan and added pasta to it for $10.  More than enough food.
  • warwomanwarwoman Posts: 255

Great pics! I saw the same entertainer in Times Square the week before you went. He was one of a number of performers throughout the subway system we enjoyed. We went for 5 days and left the Monday of the week you went. That Sunday night, we wandered 5th ave. in a nice snow storm, and were frankly worried we would get out of LaGuardia the next morning. No problem. I guess we were in between storms. I wanted to go the weekend you did in order to catch "SantaCon", but glad we didn't.

Strangely, the best meal we had was at a neighborhood pizza place in Sunnyside (Queens). We did have a great introduction to Dim Sum in Chinatown.

We stayed at the LaQuinta in Queens and were a block away from the subway, which we took everywhere. We're wanting to make it an annual event during Christmas.

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!