Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner 1 pork butt done-but took way too long?

Options
Very happy with new BGE received as Christmas present.  Cooked one pork butt was about 4 1/2 pounds at dome temp of 250(yes I calibrated thermometer prior to first use) and after 18 hours wifey gave up, and brought inside to finish.  I had gone to bed, couldn't stay awake.  Finished it in 350 degree oven and was delicious, but why so long?  Had PS legs up with drip pan under grate.  Trying another one today, gonna bump to 270 degrees.  Live in Atlanta area so don't think extreme temps of any kind is affecting egg.
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Options
    A little higher temp will speed it up, closer to 300 will be fine. I don't think 18 hours is all that bad.
    I set mine up in the evening and let it cook while I sleep. 
    Bet it was good!
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    18 hrs at 250 dome is not unreasonable. What was the internal temp when you took it off the BGE?
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Internal temp was about 170.  I thought 1.5 to 2 hours is the norm for 250 dome temp?  If so my 4 1/2 pounder should have been done at 9 hours or less, this was twice that amount of time and still not done.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    Cooked a five pounder yesterday. Went on at 8:00 and came off a little after 7:00. IT 195 or so. Dome got to about 270 at one point early and was dropped back to 250. I do not use a drip pan. One of my meat thermometers stopped at 180 and finally in desperation, I got another and it showed a different IT. Both had been calibrated a short while back. Listen to the Canadians and you will not think your temperatures are extreme. Air temp here was upper 60's, but the dome thermometer reads inside the dome and is the cooking temp.
    I allow two per pound and try to have about an extra hour to rest in case the cook goes over.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I quit looking at dome temps on low and slows a long time ago, but when I did, I would always cook at 275. Now I shoot for grate temp of 250 and ignore the dome. There will be a difference in grate an dome temp.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    I'm confused, the 4 1/2 pound butt was only 170* F after 18 hours @ 270* F.  Double check all thermometers.

How long did the butt stay in the "hot box" in the kitchen?

The temperature inside the BGE should be 250* to 270* F or whatever the thermometer says even if the outside temperature is 15 *F (been there done that in New England). It may impact the amount of lump. You'll need more lump to maintain temperature.

Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Wow that does seem to be a long time...I've cooked many that long but not 4.5 lbs quite frankly I don't know if I've ever seen a pork butt that small.  Now I do mine usually at 300 that's dome temp which will be about 20 degrees cooler at the grid.   
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Cooked a 9.5 pounder Monday night. Since it was overnight, I stabilized at 270 and let it do it's magic. Took 7.5 hours to get to 165 internal. Foiled it, ramped to 350 and took another two hours to get to 205. FTC'd and served it 6 hours later. Used my new Pelican for a butt for the first time. Butt was steaming when I unwrapped it. And the pulled pork sammiches? Scrumpdillyicious!

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Well, I foil wrapped it and finished inside at 350 for a couple hours?  I forget exactly.  So maybe today since I am doing another one, when it get's to 165 internal I could foil it and ramp to 350 for a couple of hours?  What is the benefit of foiling and cooking at 350 vs. just waiting?
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Cook a little higher temp, remember Dome temp is usually 20-50 degrees higher than grate temp. Also look up TURBO BUTTS
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Orthobear
    Options
    I normally smoke my butts around 250-275 but needed one done quick so I turbo cooked one at 350. Finished it right around 1hr/lb if not a little under that. Tasted just as good as my other ones so I think I'll always turbo cook my butts from now on.
    Houston, TX
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2013
    Options
    4 hours a pound?  At 250* dome it should not have been longer than about 2 hrs/lb.
    Something went wrong.   Is the meat thermometer accurate?  I'd make sure your dome calibration was spot on; I know you checked it, but if you have a thermapen (or similar reference quality unit) you might heat some oil to 275* and see if your BGE is still accurate at that temp.

At 275* dome, my time drops to close to an hour per pound, 1.25 hrs/lb max. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    The stall is real, and everyone says just be patient.  I am not always patient, and when I hit the stall, I raise the temp.   You will not hurt the cook.

In reality I have done my last three "turbo".  Did a 10 pounder last Saturday, 350 dome, it was done in 6-1/2 hours.  I cannot tell any difference between turbo and slow cooking as for as the end result. Great smoke and bark.  Don't worry if it is done early, FTC it (Foil, Towel, Cooler) until meal time, then shred and serve.  It will be hot and ready to eat when the rest of the dinner is ready.

Here  is a pic of the finished product.  
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm dumbfounded to the point of saying impossible. 18 hrs? 4.5 lbs?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Texansurf
    Options
    How often were you looking in and opening the dome, this will extend cook times.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'm dumbfounded to the point of saying impossible. 18 hrs? 4.5 lbs?
    Not that that doesn't happen all the time. Something is amiss for sure. I gotta think it's the dome thermo.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    Options
    Inject the butts, they cook faster, can be cooked hotter and have better flavor IMO. 

Large BGE
    Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Didn't open the dome much, again dome thermometer I checked and it was spot on(boiling water 212).  
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Have you got a Thermapen?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    Options
    I can't wrap my mind around this. I'd cook another one the same way. Hell, I'll bring the scotch and cigars and we'll figure it out.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    With an indirect cook the grate temp. could be 25-50 degrees cooler than the dome temp. You may have only been cooking on the grate at 200-225.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

This works for me:

TURBO BUTTS. 

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to around 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Options
    Even at 200 grate.. 18 hours should be more than enough. I'm baffled.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:

You would think eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    How did you determine doneness? If by temp, perhaps your meat thermo is off and it was actually done long before you pulled it. Probably not the answer as the meat would likely have been mush after that much time. Grasping here... "I don't get it" either.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    Options
    Ok. I picked up the Glenfiddich and Olivas...I'm heading your way.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I don't what to say about the first time, not sure if something odd happens first time using egg, but it really took a LONG time.  BTW, just finishing up another butt, 5 pounds, cooked for 7 hours at 270ish, until internal temp hit about 170, then foiled it, turned up heat to 350 and took about 1.5 hours to hit 200 so now FTCing it to eat for dinner in a couple hours.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You can cut the butts in half which will cut your cook time in half and give you more bark. I am in the "hot and fast" camp. 350* all the way through with no foil. 

I am baffled like the others as to time on your first cook and even think the last one went longer than I would expect but I haven't done any at that low of temp.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You can cut the butts in half which will cut your cook time in half...
    Doesn't always work. I had two 5 pounders once and cut one in half as an experiment. Just to see if it would in fact, cut the cook time in half. I assumed it would. It didn't. Cooked one 5 and two 2.5 lb butts and it took the same amount of time for all three pieces. This was lo n slo, not turbo. Never tried it again.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut