Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeah. Egg frozen shut

I need to move south. I hate the cold. Got some friends coming for dinner and got some nice porterhouse steaks. Good thing I checked on the egg early enough as it's frozen shut. Trying to light a small piece of lump inside the bottom vent to get to leftover lump burning to thaw out the egg. Hopefully It works.

Did I mention I hate the cold.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• I hate the cold too. That's why I left 25yrs ago! Look on the bright side, you've got a good excuse to drink hot toddies (totties?) and play with fire.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

SWMBO has been telling me lately that we need to move somewhere warmer because San Antonio gets too cold for her.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    I went out Thanksgiving morning to get mine started to cook a turkey breast. It was frozen shut. I live in Georgia. It was in the mid twenties. I put a lit starter cube in through the top. It didn't take very long until I could open it.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I guess the mositure turkey debacle is what made the excess water build up. Once I got it open it was a mess in there. Need a clean burn now. On deck for this week.

Garnerville, NY
  • If you come to Louisiana to warm up just remember the mosquitos are as big as humming birds and as mean as a yellow jacket...

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    If it happens again just light a tea candle and put it in the lower vent that opens mine every time.
    HFX NS
  • robnybbq
    Another cold weather question.  Since my egg has allot of grease buildup in ceramics the lid freezes to the base (no gasket).  I have to build a small fire in the ash area to get heat into the egg to defrost it.  After ~ 30 minutes This would eventually light the leftover lump.

Now, what if I need to load it up with more lump for a long cook.  instead of lighing a few spots I now have a fore burning under all the lump - Wont that ignite the rest of the lump making a hot fire?

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:
    Another cold weather question.  Since my egg has allot of grease buildup in ceramics the lid freezes to the base (no gasket).  I have to build a small fire in the ash area to get heat into the egg to defrost it.  After ~ 30 minutes This would eventually light the leftover lump.

Now, what if I need to load it up with more lump for a long cook.  instead of lighing a few spots I now have a fore burning under all the lump - Wont that ignite the rest of the lump making a hot fire?
    It will cause a bit of smoke but you will be able to regulate the temp. Best bet is to leave the dome open until the voc's burn off.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    If you come to Louisiana to warm up just remember the mosquitos are as big as humming birds and as mean as a yellow jacket...
    I think you also have cockroaches as big as mice - Yes?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Mine froze shut to so I just torched around the egg very quickly and it freed up(I have no patience).Not the best idea i'm sure but it worked.My pet peeve is the damn ceramic cap freezing on and trying to get it off before a cook:(

Winter egging isn't all its cracked up to be!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • robnybbq

robnybbq said:

It will cause a bit of smoke but you will be able to regulate the temp. Best bet is to leave the dome open until the voc's burn off.

Yeah that happened once on a reload. If I leave he lid open then I will have a large hot fire hen would have to wait a long time to coll it down?

Garnerville, NY
  • That is the purpose of leaving the dome up. It will burn off the voc's quickly and not heat the ceramic too much. If you have a hot fire below the lump it shouldn't take long. Why don't you put some foil or waxed paper between the mating edges to prevent the freezing. Even bamboo skewers will work.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I put tin foil between the dome and base and that works for me 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Foghorn said:

SWMBO has been telling me lately that we need to move somewhere warmer because San Antonio gets too cold for her.

I live in Indiana, so San Antonio is certainly better than home... most of the time.  I was in San Antonio for business in January 2 years ago, and it was colder then home, it snowed there, and they had drained the river to clean it!
  • Hey NautiRogue where about in Indiana are you from? I live in Huntington.
    I would love to have the weather of San Antonio here.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Another Indiana guy here and +1 on the foil. This time of year I have several slivers of foil in the drawer in the table to to throw on at the end of every cook to keep it from freezing shut. Works great.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • robnybbq
    That is the purpose of leaving the dome up. It will burn off the voc's quickly and not heat the ceramic too much. If you have a hot fire below the lump it shouldn't take long. Why don't you put some foil or waxed paper between the mating edges to prevent the freezing. Even bamboo skewers will work.
    I close the dome and vents when done with a cook to snuff the fire.  If I put skewers of foil the fire will not go out until the lump is gone.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Foil or wax paper will still allow the edges to "seal".

In fact, a couple layers of AF all around the base would almost act as a new gasket as well.
  • robnybbq
    Or should I just get a gasket again?  I do not know if one would stick with all the grease loaded up in the Ceramic.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That's why you clean it with acetone and a 3M drill brush.
  • Mine froze shut even with the gasket. That's why I use strips of foil. I re-use the same ones over and over.

LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Both my eggs froze shut on Thanksgiving morning.  Two different gasket materials in use.  First time it had happened to me and I've cooked in a lot of cold weather.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.