Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday afternoon prime rib roast

2»

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited December 2013
    I just got back from my "work walk" to publix to take advantage of the prime rib sale. I always try to stock up on a couple in the freezer when they get around $6/pound. Just got a pretty big 2 rib and SWMBO picked up beefy 3 rib, can't wait to get some horseradish cream sauce on those suckers.
    Dunedin, FL
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    That looks great!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    How to you get the deep prime rib flavor.  When I made them they tasted bland and not full of flavor.  I did one with just salt/pepper and the second one I added fresh thyme sprigs to the outside.  Both times I have the bones cut off but tied to the roast.  By other issue with ANY cook of beef is the other half does not like Pink/red meat - If i cook a roast then I have to wait - cut off a piece for here and either put it in a frying pan on the stove top or nuke it - Yuck

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq all I did was coat it with EVOO then salt &pepper and fresh chopped garlic that I rubbed into the meat about 1hour before the cook and the flavor was fantastic like I said sometimes it's the meat try and find your next prime rib with a big eye the bigger the eye the better the meat and flavor is IMO .
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • YUM! Getting ready for this weekend when I am going to cook a 14.5 pounder for the outlaws!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @robnybbq

Cook the rib roast to the rarest that it will be served to someone(say you like it MR so pull at 120-125. Heat up a can or 2 of Beef consomme on the stove(simmer or just below) and put the pieces for the people who need it more "done" in that until it hits temp.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Very nice! I'm lovin all the garlic on it.

Approximately how long did it take to cook?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • calking that was sundaynow it's Tuesday if I remember correctly maybe 3 to 31/2 hours
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • robnybbq said:
    How to you get the deep prime rib flavor.  When I made them they tasted bland and not full of flavor.  I did one with just salt/pepper and the second one I added fresh thyme sprigs to the outside.  Both times I have the bones cut off but tied to the roast.  By other issue with ANY cook of beef is the other half does not like Pink/red meat - If i cook a roast then I have to wait - cut off a piece for here and either put it in a frying pan on the stove top or nuke it - Yuck
    If you are roasting it, if you don't give it a decent sear either at the beginning or end, it can have a bland flavor.  That exposure to high heat gives you that maillard reaction which provides the nice deep beefy flavors. Also, look for good fat marbling from the end when you get it from the butcher.  Fat is what provides flavor to beef, and if there isn't a lot swirled in the flavor can be bland.  This is also what accounts for the difference between prime and choice beef.   Picture included for reference:image
    Pentwater, MI
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    robnybbq all I did was coat it with EVOO then salt &pepper and fresh chopped garlic that I rubbed into the meat about 1hour before the cook and the flavor was fantastic like I said sometimes it's the meat try and find your next prime rib with a big eye the bigger the eye the better the meat and flavor is IMO .I
    I would hve thought the EVOO and garlic would burn quickly when searing at 500. Did you constantly turn the roast to avoid this happening?
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • NJ_BBQ  I didn't use a lot of EVOO  just a light coat so the salt & Pepper and fresh chopped garlic would stick to the meat as far as turning the meat I would say I let it sit maybe 21/2 minutes a side on all 4 sides it had beautyful grill marks on it 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Great looking cook.  I have been wanting to do a prime rib. but like you said, a little nervous about it.  But if you can do it, then so can I.  ;)
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2013
    SoCal_Griller   YES YOU CAN !!!!!!!! As I said before trust you Egg it will handle the task !!!
    Long Island N.Y.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I am so ready to do a prime rib.  I was goiing to do it last weekend, looks like this weekend its going to actually happen.  If I buy a 5-7lb rib roast I could just cut it in half and freeze for ribeye steaks for later right?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595 yes prior to cooking 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited December 2013
    Go with LOTS of salt (2 or 3 times what you think is adequate) and some lightly crushed coriander seed with some fresh herbs, crushed garlic and pepper mixed in with olive oil to make a paste. You can't over salt prime rib in my opinion since the slices are so thin.
    Dunedin, FL