Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg owner

Options
Will try a Boston Butt after holidays. Went with the large model and have some digital thermometers on order - Thermapen and Thermoworks TW8060 kit. Looking forward to test driving the Egg. Any tips and advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Cool. Welcome aboard.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Welcome, and there is lots to read here. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Jump right in, the waters fine! Welcome!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Welcome to the cult. It's a life changer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Welcome. These guys will give you a fast way to learn if you look at the forums. Great group of people. Enjoy the addiction.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Congrats on the new Egg. Looks like you are starting off on the right foot with the Thermopen. Don't forget to post pics of your cooks!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• JerkChicken
    Options
    Welcome!

The most useful advise I could have received as a new egg owner:

Take your time letting the egg come to your desired temp, let all the creosote burn off and wait until that dome temp is nice and steady at your desired temp before putting your meat on. 

I'd say 90% of new egg disasters are related to this....

Enjoy
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Welcome to the Egg carton.  There are a few cracked ones in here.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • TheShaytoon
    Options

I am new to the Egg thing too, although I've been using it for a couple of months.  Here is the BIGGEST thing I've learned in my Egg'n time that I think will help out the most...

Learn to respect the plateau .  When doing a low and slow, there is going to be a time during every cook that the meat will hover, or plateau, at about 160 degrees, and I mean for hours.  You are gonna want to mess with the temp, but just sit back and relax.  

Even today, I get a little freaked out about it.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• r2davis65
    Options
    Thanks all. Read about that plateau on here yesterday and yes, I'm sure I will have to fight the temptation.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options

I am new to the Egg thing too, although I've been using it for a couple of months.  Here is the BIGGEST thing I've learned in my Egg'n time that I think will help out the most...

Learn to respect the plateau .  When doing a low and slow, there is going to be a time during every cook that the meat will hover, or plateau, at about 160 degrees, and I mean for hours.  You are gonna want to mess with the temp, but just sit back and relax.  

Even today, I get a little freaked out about it.
    Good advice... I remember smoking my first butt and getting freaked out because I thought it quit cooking. Luckily this forum was here to easy my troubled mind... :)
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Welcome to the cult.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Welcome to both newbies...be patient grass hopper!

Opelika, Alabama
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    Here is a visual of a Boston Butt cook...yeah I like numbers and keeping a record of stuff.  Don't JUDGE ME!  I get enough from the Wife.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• AlohaCJS
    Options
    Here are my rookie lesson's learned:

1) DO NOT WALK AWAY from the egg when you are firing it up. This thing can go NUCLEAR in five minutes. It is OK leave lid open for the first 7 to 10 minutes when staring up the coals, but STARE at the thermometer when you first close the lid. An adult beverage in hand is helpful during this process.
    2) IT IS MUCH EASIER TO SET THE TEMPERATURE ON THE WAY UP, almost impossible to bring it back down again after any period of time. Refer back to rule #1. Make sure the temperature is stabilized, with platesetter, meat, whatever, in the egg before walking away. The temp will want to climb initially, so don't go far. I am still learning how to control temp, but so far have more success closing down the bottom vent than playing with the daisy wheel.
    3) THE QUANTITY OF ACCESSORIES, (EGGCESSORIES... OR TOYS) THAT YOU WILL WANT IS BOUNDLESS. "Want" and "need" are the same thing. Everything is "bout a hundred." But that is OK, just be prepared. Buying your BGE is just the beginning.
    4) THE BGE EXPERIENCE IS A CULT. A fun, harmless one, but a cult. A good thing. ENJOY!
    Chris
    Falls Church, VA
    Large & Mini
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    And don't freak out if you hit the plateau and your temperatures actually start to drop a bit...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    welcome to the world of  EGGHEAD  my advice to you is just cook and enjoy your self what I did when I 1st got my Egg was I watched every youtube video pretaining to the Egg once you feel comfortable jump in and cook  
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Welcome. Take that new egg out for a test drive before actually cooking on it.

Grab some beers, fire the egg up, and just play with the vents some. Make adjustments to the vents and just see how the egg responds. Have fun with it. Then sleep it off and cook something the next day.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Welcome. Realize that the egg was the cheap part and enjoy.
    Lynnwood WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Check out this link for more great info: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm .
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    +1 on temperature control on the way up to desired temperature. Once you get close, starting closing down the lower vent and let it stabilize before putting on your object d'cook. Have a great time, it is an awesome piece of equipment!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Welcome, I was initiated with the secret ceremony in June. I hope they told you about that when you signed up for the forum. You will learn a lot, eat well,  and have fun.
    Milton, GA.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Welcome. Take that new egg out for a test drive before actually cooking on it. Grab some beers, fire the egg up, and just play with the vents some. Make adjustments to the vents and just see how the egg responds. Have fun with it. Then sleep it off and cook something the next day.
    +1 toshtgunal3   I learned a lot doing this...try to hit like 250 and hold for a while...then add 100 degrees and see how small adjustments it takes then bring it back down... good luck and welcome...this is a helpful group.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • cali_egghead
    Options
    Im a pretty new egg owner and what was really helpful was to take just one day to "test drive it". Don't put any meat on and start the egg at 200* then work your way up in increments of 50* until you are comfortable working the vents. Also remember that for small adjustments, the daisy wheel is more useful than most people think. Good Luck and welcome to the club!
  • TTUEgghead
    Options
    Welcome!
    I'd echo many of the pointers above and will add an obvious one. If there is one eggcessory you absolutely need it is a plate setter. I'm guessing you already have one based on your initial post.

A few great websites for recipes:

Necessaryindulgences.com

Nibblemethis.com

XL BGE, egghead since 2010

Favorites: Beer Butt Chicken, Paella, ABT's, Prime Rib

• r2davis65
    Options
    Thanks TTU and all others. Yes, plate setter came with the Egg. Looking forward to trying it out.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    Welcome . You will become full fledged when above 400* and forget to burp the lid. This will be hopefully the reminder of how you lost the hair on your arms and face.

Egg On!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI