Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IQ120 temp controller

I just purchased the IQ120 from PitmasterIQ to use with my LG Egg. Any comments, tips or suggestions from anybody with experience using it?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'm pretty sure that somebody on here has one and has chimed in before, but I can't remember who. The 120 is pretty new still. Never heard much about the 110 either. Why not just throw it on and play around with it. Maybe do something small like a spatchcock chicken and then work up to ribs before trusting it to go overnight.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I'm a dealer for both......what do you need to know?
  • Nothing in particular, just wanted get someone's opinion of it and how well it works for them
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I will be watching this thread.  I asked Santa for one for Christmas and I have been a very good boy this year....  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • I have the 110 on my large and I have had no problems.
  • stlcharcoal

Not much really to report.......They're pretty simple to use and do the job.  "Set it and forget it" style.

The 120 has programs and options, but you don't have to use any of it if you don't want to.  I'm might play with those programs for my Rebel, but for the BGE I'll just use a set temp.

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Question-what type of setting do you use on the top vent?
  • stlcharcoal

Usually just short of being able to fit a pencil through it......about 1/2 closed?  What you need to look for is the smoke when the fan kicks on.  If it's pushing smoke back out the lower vent and/or through the gasket, then you need to open up the top vent a more.  Little good the fan does, if it's not blowing through the fire, right?  Double check that the IQ's damper is closed almost all the way--you only want it wide open on start up.

dihtn said:
    Question-what type of setting do you use on the top vent?

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    SITREP: SWIMBO ordered wrong one, and Pitmaster shipped out replacement dec 26 and it arrived dec 27. The IQ120 was super easy straight out of the box. I have had adequate experience w the EGG so understood how little air this thing would need so avoided the over burn at start up. 18 hour cook of brisket without a hitch. 185 pit temp till meat 140IT then cranked up to 250 to finish. 18 hours in total.... I have no experience with other controllers and have no need for multiple pits or online control. The IQ120 was out of the box simple and effective. I am sold!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • rmhendoo
    rmhendoo Posts: 36
    edited August 2014
    I have been using the IQ 120 for 8 months and use it on just about my cooks. I love this thing, it's so easy to use on my LGE. Literally it's, set and forget it. Although, I have learned that you have to have proper air flow thru the fire grate. At first, I was trying to use those smaller pieces of lump coal and they were restricting the air flow, and i was constantly making adjustments to the daisy wheel. So, if there are any rookies reading this, don't try to go cheap and use the bottom of the bag coal pieces.