Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time pizza

I had some buildup from smoking the turkey for Thanksgiving, so what better excuse to go nuclear and make pizza!

I went with PS feet down with stone on top. Worked great except when I went in to make the next pizza and the grill went chernoble. Luckily I just had to recalibrate my thermo.

The last few had burnt crusts. I think next time I'll put the PS feet up, put the grate on, and the stone. Likely will take longer to heat, but I'll avoid the direct heat to the PS and direct conduction to the stone. Here's some pics of the first one and a later one cooking on the egg.

imageimage
Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Looks great!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    Awesome! If you made your own dough, what recipe did you use?

nice work
    Toronto
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    looks great man!
  • Homemade dough. I used the following recipe:

1lb bread flour
    1tablespoon salt
    1tablespoon sugar
    2tablespoons olive oil
    1 envelope instant yeast (the kind you dump right in with the dry ingredients ingredients, no proofing necessary)
    1.25c warm water

I dump all in my kitchen aid mixer minus about 0.25c of flour and mix with paddle attachment. Switch to dough hook and add back the flour. U may need a little more or less. I add flour until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for 15 minutes.

Either rise for 1 hr on the counter or overnight in the fridge., divide into smaller portions, let rise another 30 minutes, then you're ready to rock and roll.

With the kitchen aid mixer, this is a super easy recipe.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • What speed did you knead the dough on?  How many dough balls did it make and size of each pizza?  Thanks
  • Looks good, going to try my first pizza this week. Was planning on placing platesetter legs down, but after reading this may try feet up.
    Muskogee, OK
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Put the BGE feet between the stone and the plate setter. That will solve the crust burning issue.
  • Or if you don't have the BGE feet just find something to use as a spacer. I went to Walmart and bought 4 little 2in terracotta flower pots and I use them under my stone. They woke great and only cost like .40 each. Pizza looks good and will only get better with time. Also stick with PS legs down, has always worked best for me.
  • JohnB said:

Put the BGE feet between the stone and the plate setter. That will solve the crust burning issue.

I just use the BGE stainless grate. Gives me enough space.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• I use copper plumbing tees for spacers between my stone and plate setter. I also use the platesetter with legs down. I've found my most consistent results for pizzas are when I cook them at 550. Used to go 600+ big results were inconsistent and ways ended up with burnt crusts on the second pie.
    Mark Annville, PA