Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flip-Flop Kababs

Options
I set out to make chapli kababs. Basically ground meat, green chilies, onions, +/- tomatoes (depending on which region's chapli kabab you're making), ginger, garlic, and other spices. "Chappal" means slipper (what we would call flip-flops) or sandal in some Southwest Asian languages (Hindi, Urdu, and others) hence chapli kabab means slipper (flip-flop) kabab, because they are supposed to be flat and thin like the sole of a slipper (not as tough though!)

These were being made to take to a friend's house for dinner last night, so I took the easy route - used a pre-made spice mix and ground lamb.

Mixed the spice mix, meat, some mayo, ginger paste, and garlic paste then let it all get friendly in the fridge for a couple of hours. Fired up the egg to about 400°F raised direct, and grilled them until IT was about 160°F. They turned out thicker than chapli kabab should be. Here's a few of them cooking up:

Made the mint cilantro raita/sauce while the egg was coming up to temp. No real recipe - handful of cilantro, half-handful of mint leaves, 3-4 cayenne chilies form the garden, garlic cloves, a little salt, a little sugar, and Greek yogurt. 

They turned out pretty good. If i made them again, I would add the onion, green chilies, and whole coriander to the meat mix. Shan masala mixes are generally pretty good, this one was okay, so i would probably also just make my own spice mix. Prep time for this cook was short though, which was key yesterday since I had a busy day. Plated shot:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do not eat lamb. I would sure as hell give that a shot.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Damn that looks good. I've make work boot brisket...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

@Cali, that looks awesome, especially the sauce.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks really good. Like fancy little burgers...
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Yep, awesome, congrats, bookmarked!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    nice, almost like Indian sausage mix, some day I'm going to try lamb sausage as LS suggested.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Kababs are basically that part of the world's sausage :) Lamb sausage sounds good. May have to add some fat in to keep them juicy. Some types of kababs are made by pounding some lamb fat into the meat, to keep it moist while cooking. I think it was a Kashmiri recipe.  

• caliking
    Options
    hapster said:
    Looks really good. Like fancy little burgers...
    They did turn out like slider patties. I make lamb burgers sometimes with a different spice mix. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Those look awesome.  Definitely bookmarked.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds pretty darn tasty. And looks it too. Good job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    I love lamb - especially lamb like that. Nice work!
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • caliking
    Options
    henapple said:
    Not recently though. Aren't you tired of making good briskets yet?

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

• Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:
    henapple said:
    Not recently though. Aren't you tired of making good briskets yet?

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

Greek yoghurt? No curd...oh the horror.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    edited December 2013
    Options

Greek yoghurt? No curd...oh the horror.
    Greek yoghurt= hung curd, so it still counts :D

I wanted a thicker consistency for the sauce/raita, without having to add sour cream, and Greek yogurt fit the bill just right. I added a splash milk to thin it out, but next time I won't do that. But I expected you to cringe at the Shan masala, not the yoghurt!

You're the purest of the purists, LS. Damn you.

• Little Steven
    Options

Don't misunderstand man. I enjoy all Ethnic cooking from scratch but I my cupboards are full of masalas and pastes. It takes too long on schoolnights to go from scratch. I shop where there is a huge Indian population and they do the same thing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    No worries - just joshing. I've seen your Indian cooks, which have been very impressive! Shortcuts lead to compromise, so its good to have someone to keep it real :)

• Little Steven
    Options
    Notice I only do them about once a year at home and then at the odd fest?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator
    Options

@Caliking, may I offer my 0.02$ on the Greek yogurt and the hung yogurt?

I have experimented with both extensively. I have tried to use hung Dannon Vs. Indian store bought Desi whole yogurt, both of which I hung (details below) and compared it with the Greek plain.

Anecdotal studies, seat of the pants results.

Indian store plain whole milk yogurt which is hung wins hands down for tandoor stuff. Its probably the strain of the lactobacillus that brings a certain finish to it.

BTW, I do "hung" yogurt just by placing a Helen Chen Wok spoon on porcelain bowl with a bounty towel on it and place 4-5 heaping Tbsp of yogurt on the bounty. Wait 15 min and you will have to scrape the stuff off the paper leaving behind all the clear whey.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Looks yummy. Here I was suspecting to see something on a skewer. Maybe that's the 'shish' part of the word. Not a very big fan of lamb (only have had a few times) but this makes me want to try. Nice cook!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks @Hibby.

@Aviator - Thanks for that intel. Any particular brand of desi yogurt or is it the stuff made in-house? Is it the texture that you liked particularly, or did the yogurt have the right tanginess that worked for you? 

I usually use Fage 0% (I know - no fun without the fat) in tandoori chicken, boti kababs, or raita because that is what we usually have in the house. Not nearly as tasty as homemade yogurt though, but I'm not organized enough to keep a starter alive.

• caliking
    Options
    Notice I only do them about once a year at home and then at the odd fest?
    Don't sell yourself short (no pun intended) - still impressive.

• Aviator
    edited December 2013
    Options

@Caliking, its called Desi yogurt. Let me see if I can find you a pic. I buy it at the Indian grocery store.

Not all strains of lactobacilli are similar. They probably have regional influences and over decades have arrived at a particular profile.

For instance, just taste Dannon, Greek yogurts. Both plain. You will right away appreciate the difference. I am not talking about the consistency or the sourness.  

Its the culture they inoculate over and over again to reproduce the product.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    caliking said:

I usually use Fage 0% (I know - no fun without the fat) in tandoori chicken, boti kababs, or raita because that is what we usually have in the house. Not nearly as tasty as homemade yogurt though, but I'm not organized enough to keep a starter alive.
    0% ?   this is my favourite for tandoori ...
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    @Aviator - the one brand I can recall right now is Gopi, but I'm sure there are others. Let me know which one you like, and I'll keep an eye out for it.

@Canugghead - we were buying a brand of Bulgarian-style yogurt some years ago, which tasted very similar to the yogurt in India. 

We moved to a different part of Houston and supply became an issue, so we only get it occasionally now. I think I know where I should be able to get the kind of yogurt you mentioned. 

I love this forum! Where else could one have a deep conversation about plain yogurt? Amazing.