Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Before

Comments

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Aw shucks.......They're gonna take all the fun out of dumpster diving!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I wonder if it is going to hurt donations to food banks.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    We have a small group of stores around here in Lancaster, PA, that are called BB's and most of what they have is close to or past the 'best before' date.They also have a lot of things that are not selling or are overstocked at other stores. These stores are very large and always mobbed with shoppers. We have purchased from them and, as long as you are careful, the stuff is cheap and good.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    Good article to reassure folks who think stuff turns nasty at the stroke of midnight like Cinderella pumpkin!  I do watch the best before date on poultry, pork and ground meat though.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    It will be interesting to see how this business fares. 

There is a lot of paranoia about food safety. Did you know that technically bottled water never really "expires"? The industry had to come up with a government mandated  "best before" protocol, so they decided it would be 2 years from date of bottling. It has nothing to do with the taste or safety of drinking the water. Just stating this as an example, I realize its a very different case  compared to perishable foods.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.