Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect cooking method

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been a weber user for twenty + years. Last week 7-5-00 I purchased a BGE. Love at first sight! The question is, can anyone describe in detail the set up to use the BGE in an indirect cooking set up? I've seen mentions of the pizza stone and fire bricks, but no details.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    11_25_9906_24_03_small.jpg
    <p />T. Hunter, for indirect cooking (pizza, pulled pork/beef, etc.), firebricks are typically arranged as |__| - two flat and two standing. Check out the link and also check out Tim M's site for a detailed explanation. [p]
    [ul][li]Indirect[/ul]
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    T. Hunter,
    The fire bricks in gfw pictures are called splits. Splits are one half the thickness of regular fire bricks. These are available at brick supply yards or some fireplace shops.

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    Gfw,
    On a large, I usually use 3 bricks flat and 2 or 3 on the side to support another grid or the pizza stone. Many choices in configurations, depending on what you want.[p]Mary

• Gfw
    Options
    Mary, thanks for making a great point. I should have remembered that. The medium is smaller and requires fewer bricks.

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Sometimes, I use a drip pan with water, instead of ceramic mass do stuff indirect. I do think that you can have "too much" ceramic mass. Then again, I only have the large fire bricks and not the "split" ones.

• Gfw
    Options
    Teslamania, I guess I've never done it totally without the firebricks - sometimes I lay 2 flat and put the drip pan on the 2 bricks - occasionally I even use liquid in the drip pan - maybe I'll give a try your way on one of my next low/slow cooks.

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I haven't gone totally without bricks either, I use the drip pan with two bricks to support the cookin grid. However, I did buy the grate extender, and will probably try not using bricks.