Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time cooking a prime rib and smoking some cheese and almonds

The prime rib was a first. It turned out good, a little rare for me but this is how my family loves their prime rib. I pulled the prime rib with an IT of 121 stoked up the Egg to 500 and seared all sides. It came off with an IT of 128. Wrapped it for only about fifteen minutes before my family was wearing me out to eat dinner. I smoked the cheese for three hours and the almonds for five. Cheese is sealed and will rest for two to three weeks and almonds will rest for five days before seasoning them. I smoked white sharp cheddar, gouda and hoop cheese.
Ringgold GA LBGE

Comments

• Hey @roblew, that does look a little on the blue side, but if that's what the fam demands its all good!

What did you use to Smoke the cheese and nuts?

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Great job on the prime rib. Edge to edge color is where it's at.
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78

Hey @roblew, that does look a little on the blue side, but if that's what the fam demands its all good!

What did you use to Smoke the cheese and nuts?

Cheers
    B_B
    I used the A-Maze-N Smoker with a mix of hickory and a little bit of apple saw dust. 
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    How did you do the nuts? Do they need to be rested like cheese?I smoked a batch of cheese with the A-Maze-N-Smoker with good results, but have not tried nuts.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    caliking said:
    How did you do the nuts? Do they need to be rested like cheese?I smoked a batch of cheese with the A-Maze-N-Smoker with good results, but have not tried nuts.
    I smoked the almonds for 5 hours and I am going to let them rest for 5 days and then season and bake them. I did eat some of them about an hour after I pulled them from the Egg and they were good. I have read where people season and eat right after they come the smoke but I decided to rest mine.
    Ringgold GA LBGE