Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How about a meat slicer recommendation

Options
Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been considering a meat slicer. My daughter likes her school lunch meat and cheeses sliced wafer thin. That means deli products and no egging. If I get a meat slicer, I can get in the school lunch game with her, creating father-daughter activities. So, are the meat slicers priced around $100 worth it? Do you have any product recommendations? Are the slicers a pain to keep clean?[p]Thanks again, Tom

Comments

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I have a $100 meat slicer from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It works well and is simi-easy to clean up. I am a sanitary freak and there are a couple of little nooks that are hard to wipe down. For the $100 dollar investment (or $80, if you wait for the weekly $20 coupon you get once a month) it is well worth it. I use it to slice brisket really thin, roast beef for french dips, tomato's, lettuce and cabbage for slaw. I think your only other option would be a $350 one. Which I think is pricey for home use. [p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    2004_0122Image0020.jpg
    <p />Sandbagger,
    i bought this one on ebay a few years back, someone had recomended it on the forum. have had good luck with it and its easy to clean. dont know if you would be able to find one, i think it was a closeout. i wouldnt use it for one or two slices, but for whole roasts at a time.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    fishlessman,
    It may have been me as I have the exact same slicer and I also got it on E bay. I would agree with your comments....If I had it to do over again I think I would like one of the models that is angled/tilted table but no complaints on this one.[p]Wess

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Here is a few Tom.
    Larry

[ul][li]Meat Slicers[/ul]
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    Thanks for the posts and emails on the meat slicer. I decided to buy the Chef's Choice vari tilt model 632. More than I wanted to spend, but I hope the unit lives up to expectations. Plus, it won some award. What the award means I have no clue, but sure sounds impressive....[p]With all the fancy math discounts and shipping I paid almost the same as all the other sites, except I get the non-serrated blade included. Now I wonder how long this New York outfit will take to get it to me. And, if I get what I ordered. [p]The knuckle-head side of me calculated that it will take approximately 80 pounds of egging meat vs. deli meat prices to pay for this bad boy... beverages not included, as I am still on the straight and narrow from my GM experience. [p]Thanks again, Tom

[ul][li]http://www.ekitchengadgets.com/chchgoelfosl1.html[/ul]