Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Flip-Flop Kababs

I set out to make chapli kababs. Basically ground meat, green chilies, onions, +/- tomatoes (depending on which region's chapli kabab you're making), ginger, garlic, and other spices. "Chappal" means slipper (what we would call flip-flops) or sandal in some Southwest Asian languages (Hindi, Urdu, and others) hence chapli kabab means slipper (flip-flop) kabab, because they are supposed to be flat and thin like the sole of a slipper (not as tough though!)

These were being made to take to a friend's house for dinner last night, so I took the easy route - used a pre-made spice mix and ground lamb.

Mixed the spice mix, meat, some mayo, ginger paste, and garlic paste then let it all get friendly in the fridge for a couple of hours. Fired up the egg to about 400°F raised direct, and grilled them until IT was about 160°F. They turned out thicker than chapli kabab should be. Here's a few of them cooking up:

Made the mint cilantro raita/sauce while the egg was coming up to temp. No real recipe - handful of cilantro, half-handful of mint leaves, 3-4 cayenne chilies form the garden, garlic cloves, a little salt, a little sugar, and Greek yogurt. 

They turned out pretty good. If i made them again, I would add the onion, green chilies, and whole coriander to the meat mix. Shan masala mixes are generally pretty good, this one was okay, so i would probably also just make my own spice mix. Prep time for this cook was short though, which was key yesterday since I had a busy day. Plated shot:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments