Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

OT - Sriracha

Took a walk to the neighborhood Wal-Mart yesterday to stock up on Sriracha due to the possible impending shortage, looks like there has already been a run on it as it was sold out there and every other walking distance grocery store.  Dammit, gonna have to make my own now.
Chicago, Illinois
·

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,005
    edited December 2013
    I had no idea there was to be a shortage. Don't use it much anyway. I assume you're talking about the rooster stuff, which is what I saw when I looked up sriracha shortage. If you have an Asian market nearby, check out what they sell. Mine has a variety of brands from Thailand. I particularly like Shark Brand. Not quite as thick as rooster and comes in Mild or Strong. All I have found is mild, but that's fine with me. 

Did find a pic of the strong though. :) Good luck. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • I picked a few cases just last week.  I like having that stuff around.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,551
    I haven't seen any places out I am gonna pick up some. Restaurant depot sells good sized bottles for like $3.50. They also make one with full sized pepper flakes in it that is good also.
    ·
  • They only produce a few months a year, after that the ingredients they use are out of season and no longer available.  Our retailers still have it in stock, the one with the green top.    
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,113
    edited December 2013
    I always thought Sriracha was a brand...I didn't realize it was a type of sauce and huy fong was just one manufacturer.  I learned something new today. Thanks Carolina Q! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • I always thought Sriracha was a brand...I didn't realize it was a type of sauce and huy fong was just one manufacturer.  I learned something new today. Thanks Carolina Q! 

It's actually named for the Thai province of Si Racha

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,062
    The whole story has raised such a buzz about Huy Fong that they could easily move the factory and restart production just about anywhere.
    I love the stuff, but a single large bottle lasts me so long I usually replace it due to color change, rather than running out… 
    @-)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,062
    Oh yeah, when the first frost was predicted this last fall I picked all the red jalapenos off my bush, threw them in the blender with white vinegar and salt (which was actually the ingredient list off a Tabasco bottle, not sriracha, 'cept with tabasco chiles) and bottled it.
    It was… hot, but not very good.  I don't have any oak casks to age it in, but next year I'll throw a box of toothpicks into the bottle and see what happens.  
    :D

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Botch said:

The whole story has raised such a buzz about Huy Fong that they could easily move the factory and restart production just about anywhere.

I love the stuff, but a single large bottle lasts me so long I usually replace it due to color change, rather than running out… 
    @-)
    I actually like it a little better after the color change... Mellows out the heat and intensifies the flavors. Taste even better on greasy burgers and pizza.
    Chicago, Illinois
    ·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,039
    Big government run amock.   Once again.  Keep your hands of my sauce
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,030
    thetrim said:
    Big government run amock.   Once again.  Keep your hands of my sauce
    It's not the government. The citizens of Irwindale pushed the city to file a lawsuit. Something about headaches, sore throats, and burning eyes. 

They went directly to the company first but were rebuffed.

They even had to move a kid's birthday party indoors! The horror!

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    Sriracha and the Sambal olek. Cant do without it.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 293
    I thought that I read somewhere a few weeks ago that the issue had been resolved? Perhaps not.
    ·
  • Botch said:
    Oh yeah, when the first frost was predicted this last fall I picked all the red jalapenos off my bush, threw them in the blender with white vinegar and salt (which was actually the ingredient list off a Tabasco bottle, not sriracha, 'cept with tabasco chiles) and bottled it.
    It was… hot, but not very good.  I don't have any oak casks to age it in, but next year I'll throw a box of toothpicks into the bottle and see what happens.  
    :D
    I know someone who distills his own whiskey, and also does not have casks.  He drops chunks of toasted oak in the jugs and gets aged whiskey out of it.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,824
    maybe Wal-Mart only carries that brand, but check your local grocery store for other brands of it - maybe the Asian part of the store.
    ·
  • Franks is making a sriracha now. It's not bad little saltier and not as hot but not bad.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·