Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Shrimp

Options

Hey Fellas!  I hope everyone is doing well, I havent been on in a few weeks.  I made a post a few weeks back asking if I orda get an Anova or a mini egg for Christmas, and many of you said, "Why not both!"  Well, my wife was watching the post and decided she was going to get me both, and she has a tough time holding back presents so she broke down and gave me the anova early.  I was not expecting it, and got to work right away trying some steak and shrimp. 

I read up online, and of course have looked at many fine cooks on here with the sous vide, but havent heard much on shrimp.  I found a sous vide temp guide saying to bathe them  for 30 minutes at 60 degrees celcius.  Any longer than that, and they would be too tender once they were done. I sealed them with butter, and Old Bay Blackened seasoning.  Once they were done last night they were very good, but seemed to be a little off.  I'm not sure what threw them off, but the consistency seemed to be wrong.  The NY strips were great after I seared them on the egg, but were just a tad overcooked for our taste.  I bathed them at 54.5C for 2 hours. Then seared them at 600 degrees for 45 seconds on each side.  Give me your opinions and suggestions please, and great to be back!            

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Celcius?? What are you? Canadian???   :D

Kidding. I'm a SV n00b myself, but there are many folks with SV experience here. Have you seen the douglasbaldwin.com site? A lot of good info there. 

What did you not like about the shrimp? I found that pork chops hot-tubbed overnight had a tender but somewhat spongy texture. Not bad, but different from grilled chops. 

Oh, and you do know that if we don't see pics... it didn't happen :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Cooking in sous vide produces a different texture/consistency than normal methods. I have not been thrilled with any beef I have done to fully cooked. I haven't done shrimp but did do lobster tails and I thought they were fantastic. They were a little less rubbery compared to other cooking methods but I thought that was a good thing. My wife didn't like them at all. The flavor was great but she wasn't used to the tenderness. Is that what you found?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options

Hey Fellas!  I hope everyone is doing well, I havent been on in a few weeks.  I made a post a few weeks back asking if I orda get an Anova or a mini egg for Christmas, and many of you said, "Why not both!"  Well, my wife was watching the post and decided she was going to get me both, and she has a tough time holding back presents so she broke down and gave me the anova early.  I was not expecting it, and got to work right away trying some steak and shrimp. 

I read up online, and of course have looked at many fine cooks on here with the sous vide, but havent heard much on shrimp.  I found a sous vide temp guide saying to bathe them  for 30 minutes at 60 degrees celcius.  Any longer than that, and they would be too tender once they were done. I sealed them with butter, and Old Bay Blackened seasoning.  Once they were done last night they were very good, but seemed to be a little off.  I'm not sure what threw them off, but the consistency seemed to be wrong.  The NY strips were great after I seared them on the egg, but were just a tad overcooked for our taste.  I bathed them at 54.5C for 2 hours. Then seared them at 600 degrees for 45 seconds on each side.  Give me your opinions and suggestions please, and great to be back!            

Most people are accustomed to eating OVERCOOKED shrimp. That may account for the sense of  "being off". I SV my shrimp in advance at 55C for 20 minutes. I then chill them in an ice water bath and store in the refrigerator. Before serving I sear them in a cast iron pan.
  • ChuckChampion
    Options

@caliking- I'm from a place wayyy south of Canada, below the mason dixie line lol.  I just found out today that it can be reconfigured for fahrenheit.  Thanks for the site info. I look forward to studying it.  I'm trying pork chops this evening, and I hope they dont come out funny, I've been wanting some good chops.

Hey @Little Steven, yes sir I would say they were almost too tender if their is such a thing.  It was weird to eat shrimp that wasnt a little chewy or rubbery I guess. 

What happened to my steaks?  Am I cooking them at too high of a temp for them to finish medium rare?  And how long are yall keeping your meat in for?

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options

And how long are yall keeping your meat in for?

Sounds like tantric yoga!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@caliking- I'm from a place wayyy south of Canada, below the mason dixie line lol.  I just found out today that it can be reconfigured for fahrenheit.  Thanks for the site info. I look forward to studying it.  I'm trying pork chops this evening, and I hope they dont come out funny, I've been wanting some good chops.

Just funning :) Looking forward to more of your SV cooks. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Hey @Little Steven, yes sir I would say they were almost too tender if their is such a thing.  It was weird to eat shrimp that wasnt a little chewy or rubbery I guess. 

What happened to my steaks?  Am I cooking them at too high of a temp for them to finish medium rare?  And how long are yall keeping your meat in for?

131* is the minimum to fully cook sous vide for pasteurization. If you cook lower then just don't leave them in for more than four hours. I go about 110* and then sear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    I sent my Anova back...didn't care for the textures produced and added more steps than I wanted. I like the good ol' fashioned way of cooking. Perhaps I just did not know what I was doing. I just didn't see the benefit for my cooking. I was disappointed-I wanted to love it.. :(
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    I sent my Anova back...didn't care for the textures produced and added more steps than I wanted. I like the good ol' fashioned way of cooking. Perhaps I just did not know what I was doing. I just didn't see the benefit for my cooking. I was disappointed-I wanted to love it.. :(
    I am so sad for you. You are missing out on a remarkable cooking process.