Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The things we do for our customers......

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Mickey. ..If you didn't pass out at 6pm you would have had brisket.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Went to a food and wine fest last year. Franklin was there serving brisket only. No one else had a line. His was 20 minutes to get a taster. I waited in line 3 times. It's not hype. It's that good.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I'll have to go too now.. I was hoping it wasn't better than ours could be.  Craps!  I'll need to wait for a cold tuesday or someshit like that..

I ate a Mueller's a while back and it was great too.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If Cen-Tex  says the brisket was unreal,  then I believe it,  but I just really can't bring myself to wait that long in line for food.  I may never know the heaven that Franklin's brisket is. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    I think we get there Jan 10th and are in town for 3 I/2 days. Go on a cruise out of the port after that. I'll send you the dates for sure. Wife is booking R'evolution...care to join us. My treat.
    Youre in for quite a treat.  R'evolution  is an outstanding restaurant -  great food,  gracious and classy service.  Just amazing.  We didn't like their tasting menu for the evening,  so we made up our own.  Definitely the best restaurant meal I've had all year. 

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    Looks like they're all laying down, taking a nap before opening. :\">
    Don't know why that silly comment made me laugh out loud........but, it did!!! :))

Then I succeeded ! Make one person smile or laugh each day is my goal......and yes, it was silly!
    BTW, how far are you from the Hiawassee Egg Fest?

I am the Hiawassee Eggfest.......so to speak! I'm the organizer of same and live in Young Harris which is 6 miles from downtown Hiawassee.....
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    I stood in that line twice now and bailed each time before I made it to the front.  The first time I was about where your first photo was taken from (the horizontal one) and waited for about 90 mins before I was told we were at least another hour out.  Walked.  The second time the line was shorter than that but didn't move at all for an hour and we bailed again.  It is actually not too bad standing in line - each time someone in line handed us beers.  But I would never make it 4.5 hours.  And I am pretty crazy about BBQ.  I guess the trick is to be there first?

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Does he still offer the pre-order stuff?

yes but he is sold out through January.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lakewade said:
    I stood in that line twice now and bailed each time before I made it to the front.  The first time I was about where your first photo was taken from (the horizontal one) and waited for about 90 mins before I was told we were at least another hour out.  Walked.  The second time the line was shorter than that but didn't move at all for an hour and we bailed again.  It is actually not too bad standing in line - each time someone in line handed us beers.  But I would never make it 4.5 hours.  And I am pretty crazy about BBQ.  I guess the trick is to be there first?

I wouldn't have done it if my customers weren't so in to it. I thought it was silly.....until we ate. I'm actually glad we did it. i wouldn't do it again any time soon but it was so good it was almost worth it. If you get there first, it's still 3 hours. You would have to get there by 8.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    I wouldn't have done it if my customers weren't so in to it. I thought it was silly.....until we ate. I'm actually glad we did it. i wouldn't do it again any time soon but it was so good it was almost worth it. If you get there first, it's still 3 hours. You would have to get there by 8.
    What was the price like?

I saw some enterprising UT students with smart phones that go down, stand in line, and Craigslist their position to fill orders for people who don't want to wait.  $40 flat rate or $10/hr.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Does he still offer the pre-order stuff?

I'm thinking about pre-ordering for Salado.
  • Franklin's q is good but i would not have stood in that line yesterday.  I did like the open 12 pack of Tecate in the picture at least they didn't need an ice chest chest yesterday.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Franklin's q is good but i would not have stood in that line yesterday.  I did like the open 12 pack of Tecate in the picture at least they didn't need an ice chest chest yesterday.

It was an 18 pack. I never would have chosen to do that but I'm glad they wanted to do it. They haven't stopped talking about it yet.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2013
    Does he still offer the pre-order stuff?

I'm thinking about pre-ordering for Salado.

Why? so our briskets will taste just alike? :))
  • I have never been to Franklins. But talked to him when I was on BBQ Pitmasters. He is a cool guy. He just built a new smoker, a big one. When they get it cooking right, they shouldn't run out so much and might open for dinner. As for the wait, not so much.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited December 2013
    Well-this does change up the chase for the holy grail!  After the above endorsements I guess we just keep on chasing with no hope of arriving at the finish-line.  But the journey is what its all about.  That and the SWMBO eggscape time-now that has a value that is priceless!  :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    CT, just to clarify... We are thinking about doing a food tour of Austin but I definitely want to hit up Franklins while we come into town for Salado. My FIL is in Georgetown so I am coming down for 4-5 days but I don't want to spend half of 1 day in line. I may just order a whole brisket just because...
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    Don't know why that silly comment made me laugh out loud........but, it did!!! :))

Then I succeeded ! Make one person smile or laugh each day is my goal......and yes, it was silly!

I am the Hiawassee Eggfest.......so to speak! I'm the organizer of same and live in Young Harris which is 6 miles from downtown Hiawassee.....

I know exactly where Young Harris is. I play Brasstown Resort golf course every so often, and go thru YH going to Blairsville or John C. Campbell folk school. I live in Clayton!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:

I know exactly where Young Harris is. I play Brasstown Resort golf course every so often, and go thru YH going to Blairsville or John C. Campbell folk school. I live in Clayton!
    Brasstown Valley Resort is my home course.......planning on playing there tomorrow if it's not too cold! Have you attended the GA Mt. fest before?
  • Would like to try it but, IMHO, nothing is worth that wait.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:

Brasstown Valley Resort is my home course.......planning on playing there tomorrow if it's not too cold! Have you attended the GA Mt. fest before?
    Yep, have attended both summer and fall versions in the past since moving to the mountains. I'm looking forward to the Eggfest there this next year......It'll be here before you know it! Have a Merry Christmas, and a safe one. BTW, know where I can get a new 10" grill for a mini?

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    I like the dude who brought the case of Tacate and is drinking at 9:30A.  I kinda wanna stand in like just for the drinking part.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • henapple
    At 9:30 he's running a little late but better late than never.
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    edited December 2013
    CT, just to clarify... We are thinking about doing a food tour of Austin but I definitely want to hit up Franklins while we come into town for Salado. My FIL is in Georgetown so I am coming down for 4-5 days but I don't want to spend half of 1 day in line. I may just order a whole brisket just because...
    @Eggcelsior. You will not want to go to Franklins anytime before the 16th. In fact unless you like crowds I would avoid Austin all together that week. That's the final week of South by Southwest and the town will be packed. If on the other hand you like crowds and music it's a great time
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • henapple
    @Eggcelsior. ..just have some of Centex brisket when he blows into the after party because his food is too good for the fest. Doesn't want to start a riot.
  • Eggcelsior
    I'm going to snag his too. I'm still trying to get Franklin's wares. Consensus is that his brisket is the bee's knees among commercially prepared smoked beef.
  • proser is right. The reason I was late to the fest is because I was at SXSW all day. You won't get within a mile of Franklin's that week. People will be lined up at 6 am

• BREWnQ said:
    I like the dude who brought the case of Tacate and is drinking at 9:30A.  I kinda wanna stand in like just for the drinking part.
    The line is awesome. Aaron swears he will never change it. he says it's a big part of why it's so famous. I'm not big on waiting for food anywhere but it's like a party.....in the am. It's worth it if you bring the right gear. Some booze, a chair, a guitar, a bluetooth speaker with some drinking tunes. It's all good.

And those dudes with the tecate hooked me up all morning. He sends people out with beer to buy around 10am and then they rolled out to the parking lot with free sausage wraps around noon since the line was moving slow. 

Bloody marys are the way to roll next time though. 

• Eggcelsior
    I love crowds and even more so, I love smacking hipsters in the back of the head for looking like a jackass. This is why I want to pre-order; more time for backhand re-education.
  • caliking
    I'm going to snag his too. I'm still trying to get Franklin's wares. Consensus is that his brisket is the bee's knees among commercially prepared smoked beef.
    You'll have to be quick. It goes lightning fast. I happened to be in the right place, at the right time.