Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Meat Mountain

Decided to try a 4lb top sirloin roast last night. Used an herbed butter (fresh thyme, parsley, Dijon). Seared on the CI skillet then put on the Egg, 275 deg for about 1.5hrs and pulled it off at 130 deg. Let it rest for 20 minutes where the herbed butter melted and created a sauce of meaty deliciousness - hence the pile of meat as I kept turning the pile to make sure everything was coated. My daughter's boyfriend, one of the most picky eaters I've ever met, dug it so I guess I got it right.
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• 500500 Posts: 2,221
    edited December 2013
    You added the herbed butter at the end, like a board sauce as you cut it?  Great idea.  I'm always cautious about such a lean cut being dry and tough.  That looks like neither.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • Yes sir, just like a board sauce. It was very juicy and tender. I was originally going to do rib eyes but this roast was just $16 from my local butcher - instead of $50 for the same weight in rib eyes. I thought why not. The cut was not as tender as a rib eye but still very good.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • What is the recipe for the butter? Looks amazing!

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,624
    Boyfriend is a picky eater?

Get the shotgun and keep it conspicuous. He sounds like trouble.
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 367
    +1 with Eggcelsior

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• calikingcaliking Posts: 8,256
    Somebody was telling me about this pile o' meat method yesterday. Sounded good yesterday, looks great today!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The butter came from Cooks Country. Here's the link:  http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/4995-herbed-roast-beef?extcode=LN13N2KAA

As I don't own a shotgun, I have to rely on other methods of intimidation. As I'm an IT guy with some "special clearances", I use the "in one call, I can have you pulled over on the way home and you'll get to know Buddy in lock up." He's not a bad kid, he's useful to dig ditches, move rocks, work on my roof, change my oil...

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,624

The butter came from Cooks Country. Here's the link:  http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/4995-herbed-roast-beef?extcode=LN13N2KAA

As I don't own a shotgun, I have to rely on other methods of intimidation. As I'm an IT guy with some "special clearances", I use the "in one call, I can have you pulled over on the way home and you'll get to know Buddy in lock up." He's not a bad kid, he's useful to dig ditches, move rocks, work on my roof, change my oil...

Dig ditches? You can use the IT/"I know a guy" and chain gangs to your advantage.
  • Here is a dopey pic of the compound butter that had gotten a bit hard after sitting on the counter. It eventually melted, just took about 20 minutes...
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,625
    Boyfriend is a picky eater?

Get the shotgun and keep it conspicuous. He sounds like trouble.

ROTFLMAO!!!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • I'm sure whatever those 4 wine corks by your cutting board were holding in the bottle didn't hurt either :))

Keeping it Weird in the ATX
  • HibbyHibby Posts: 485
    Wow that looks fantastic.
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
  • @Centex: I wish it was 4 bottles of vino. Those were cork guards for the metal spikes on the cutting board.