Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Cook -- Spatchcock Chicken (pics included)

Ok, so I broke in my new LBGE this afternoon with a Spatchcock Chicken.  I bought a small 4 pounder from the local Food Lion.  Rubbed it down with my own rub.  I fired up the egg and found that it came to 300 degrees cooking temp pretty easily.  I put the chicken on direct fire, turned it occasionally and within about 50 minutes the bird was done.  For good measure I threw on about 6 legs for lunch this week.

I must say I was impressed with the outcome.  After cooking on a gasser for so many years this chicken was so moist and flavorful.  Due to time constraints I didn't do a whole lot to this bird, no brine, basting or elaborate rubs and it was still juicy and flavorful. 

I have some questions though:

Once I lit my lump (BGE Brand) I had the dome open for about 10 minutes then I closed it and waited for the dome thermometer to read 300.  The smell of the smoke / fire was pretty bad.  I waited for the smoke to run clear (like I've read on here) and it still smelled for a while.  It eventually went away.  How long do you let the egg run before you put your food on?  Was what I was smelling normal?

When I lifted the dome to check on the chicken the temp on the Dome thermometer dropped.  I adjusted the damper at the bottom and the wheel at the top till it came back then I reduced it.  Is that what I should do or should I have waited for it to come back on its own?

I must say everyone, I'm hooked.  I can't wait to cook again next weekend.  I have my BGE Cookbook and am thinking about a Butt turbo style...

I'm going to attempt to post pics because I know you're going to ask.....

Fort Mill, SC

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks good, and welcome!  Great first cook.  Couple of things - when you lift the dome, the temp drops because the temp probe is exposed top the air.  If you are stable for a while, the temp probe change from opening the lid will stabilize again without changing the vents.
    What did you use to light the Egg?  If using a starter cube, keep the lid open until it is completely burned up.  If you close the lid while it is still burning, the flame goes out and it smolders with bad smoke until gone. 
    Fort Mill, SC
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    I remember when my eggs were that clean and white. Hold onto that pic... You'll be surprised at how soon it turns black.

Great first cook! Welcome to the cult!!!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• The black you will see is good, it works like seasoning cast Iron it makes the egg even better! don't clean it off just let it be. As time and cooks go by it will build up and at some point you may want to do a clean out burn kind of like self cleaning of your oven. Welcome and you are now hooked!
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • Nice cook and welcome to the forum! 

One thing I noticed is you don't seem to have much lump in there. I wouldn't be scared to really load it up. That will definitely allow you to cook longer and may help crisp the skin up just a bit more if that's something you're interested in. 

Enjoy learning both on the egg and on the boards and you can't go wrong. Really amazing group of folks on here.

Cheers
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    My first couple of cooks had a real smoky flavor as well. I wonder if it has something to do with the ceramic being fresh and not yet (seasoned)?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Welcome to the family, have fun.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I use BGE starter cubes that I cut into 1/2 or 1/4 pieces (it depends if I am lazy or not...). I just use one piece to start the fire regardless of the size of the piece I use. I place the piece in a "hole" that I make into the midle of the charcoal and ignite it with a butane torch. I fully open the bottom vent and the daisy wheel (lid closed). 15-20 minutes later, the egg is ready. The nasty smoke typically stops once the egg reaches 350-400F. I then set the bottom vent and daisy wheel according to the temperature that I want to reach. I never had any problem with a flame going out while the lid is closed. In fact, I would be scared to leave the lid open for a long time... I'm not sure how it would work with other brands of starter cubes but never had problem with the BGE brand.

Hey, good job!!!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    FYI, when I've spatchcocked, I have never flipped, and do around 400 indirect. That being said, if you liked your results, continue on. I have been meaning to try a direct spatchcock myself for comparison. Drumsticks for me are usually around 400, also indirect, for around 45 minutes. I love the results I've had. Do what works for you though.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Nice cook and welcome to the forum! 

One thing I noticed is you don't seem to have much lump in there. I wouldn't be scared to really load it up. That will definitely allow you to cook longer and may help crisp the skin up just a bit more if that's something you're interested in. 

Enjoy learning both on the egg and on the boards and you can't go wrong. Really amazing group of folks on here.

Cheers
    B_B

Thanks.  How much do you put in normally?  I thought when I watched the video on the BGE website it said to go about 1 inch higher than the airholes. 

Fort Mill, SC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Nice job. I would do two things. Put that "wheel at the top" in the garage and that BGE Cookbook in the trash. The "wheel at the top" is not needed and this forum provides much better info than that book.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Welcome aboard!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  The urge to get into the after-market toys will take hold in short order. And you can spend lots of $$-before going down that road ask here and you will get several recommendations about how to spend your funds. 

One thing that will likely come up soon is cooking "raised direct"-you can create the raised grid with a couple of bolts and nuts or fire bricks and a second grid to get the cooking surface up to around gasket height.  And as with all cooks, always cook to finish temperature. Forum favorite for the thermo is an instant-read thermopen.

Here's a great reference site for all things ceramic-  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm Enjoy.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Welcome aboard and +1 on what @lousubcap says!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Welcome aboard!!!!! Keep cooking!!!!!