Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dough sticks to BGE Pizza Stone

Options
Hi all -

Been cooking pizzas with the BGE pizza stone and each time I complete the pizza it tastes great but the crust sticks to the stone like no tomorrow. I spend 30 minutes trying to clean the stone after a cook.

Today I am cooking a pizza with my little bro through the Big Brothers Big Sisters program and I want the cook to go perfect for him. Any suggestions on what to use on the pizza stone that is pizza stone safe and won't cause the dough to stick? Thanks everyone!!

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Parchment paper for a few minutes, and then slip it out from under it... Also, you can sprinkle corn meal on the stone before you put the pizza on instead of using the paper
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I agree with @hapster. Parchment paper is the solution. I leave it on the whole time. Either way will solve your problem.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Thanks guys! Parchment paper doesn't burn or melt does it?
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    @Royal, are you heating the stone to temp first?  You mention only making one pizza.  Egg should be at least 550 for 30-45 minutes to get everything up to temp.  Use plenty of flour, semolina and/or corn meal on your peel.  

Once everything's at temp, you should be able to make several pies from there.

Thanks for being a big bro!
    Mamaroneck
  • Hi54putty
    Options

No
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

Can parchment paper take high temps?

• Hi54putty
    Options
    smokeyj said:

Can parchment paper take high temps?

Yes if it isn't exposed to direct heat. It's fine on a pizza stone.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    No
    I have had it burn and turn color but I do have flair ups when I open the egg. It does not affect the taste of the pizza however. Also I most likely am doing something wrong if it should not burn and mine is.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Trace your stone onto parchment and then cut it out 1/2" smaller. Make your crust to fit the paper or slightly smaller, put the paper on your peel and the dough on the paper - then make the pizza right on the paper/peel. 
    Parchment is foolproof and you never end up with meal and flour everywhere. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Luvflt
    Luvflt Posts: 63
    Options
    Just for info parchment paper can burn if left to near open flame or heat. If will not burn if it is on a pizza stone or other baking type dish. Like Skiddymarker said cut it to fit. As long as it is on the stone and not hanging over it won't burn. I cut my paper to the size of my peel as I make my pizza the size of my peel. I prefer to pull it off after a few minutes but I did have a piece rip one time and part of it stayed under the pizza the whole time and I didn't notice any difference in the crust.
    Palm City, FL
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use Semolina because I think it has a better heat tolerance than corn meal.

The most important thing I have learned is to let the pizza stone come up to temperature before cooking on it. This can take a much longer time than you think.  I have found it can take 20 minutes or more to reach 500 degrees. I use an IR thermometer to measure the temperature.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mad props for helping to change a young boy's life. I'm sure he'd like the pizza raw.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Maybe a dumb question here but I typically make my pizza in the deep dish stone. Is this a no no ? I let pizza come to temp with stone.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I make my pizza on the parchment paper then trim the paper down to the size of my pizza. I use what ever tool is around to slightly lift the pie and pull the paper out after a couple of minutes like hapster.

FWIW my stone is usually 600-650 degrees. 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I always use parchment paper.  No need to trim and no need to remove IMHO.  I make pies about 12-13" diameter, just pull a big enough piece off the roll.  Here is a pic of one I did on Sunday.  Parchment burns around the edges, but it's sure not a problem. Not trimming gives you something to grab if you want to remove, or when it is time to take the pie off the stone.  BTW, I have the BGE stone, did not use it on this particular day though.  Dome temp was about 625 for this cook, stone was a bit over 500image
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • PhillyBoy23
    Options
    Heat up the stone and dust with cornmeal.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    oops, just noticed this is an old thread
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    No
    Actually it can burn.  Any part hanging over the platesetter will burn if the temp is high enough.  But it will not affect the pizza.  I use parchment paper all of the time.  I usually pull it out from under the pizza about 3 minutes into the cook.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• shadowcaster
    Options
    If its a deep dish I use corn oil in the preheated stone. For regular pizza I just mix cornmeal and flour and roll the dough in that. It has worked great for me.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    hapster said:
    Parchment paper for a few minutes, and then slip it out from under it... Also, you can sprinkle corn meal on the stone before you put the pizza on instead of using the paper
    This is exactly what I do.  Parchment paper and corn meal.  Works perfectly.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio