Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ham

Options
The idea was to cook a 10lb Cook's shank portion ham like Mickey's naked ham, but dust it with Pineapple Head and glaze with pepper jelly. Taking it to the work holiday potluck, which starts at 1pm.

But I'm a cocky sumbitch, and thought I remembered how to do this. Why bother checking, right? So I woke up early, got a cup of coffee and fired up the egg at 7:45am. Enjoyed the peace and quiet of the morning as I watched the smoke rise from the egg and the sunlight peeking through the leaves. I love weekend mornings like this.

Brought it up to 350°F, put the ham on by 8:30am and settled in for a wonderful morning egging. An 40 mins later I went to take a peak:

Seemed like the skin was browning somewhat fast, but what do I know - this was my first ham. Still didn't bother looking up any bookmarked threads, coz i got this.

Well, then I started noticing that the skin was getting a little charred. IT hit 130°F. At 10:45am. It was supposed to be done by noon. Closed up the intake and the top vent until they very barely open, and poured hot water into the tray of kosher salt under the ham. The bark by the way was farkin awesome. Just darker than what I have seen on the forum before. That's when I looked up the old threads and saw that I was supposed to be cooking at 300°F!!! No wonder things were speeding right along. 

Anyways, got the Tabasco pepper jelly heated up to melt it, and brushed it all over the ham. Let it set, and pulled the ham at 11:30am. IT was 145°F. I had wanted to pull at at 135-140. 

It looked downright sexy after the glaze, and smelled so good too. Felt like peeling off all the bark and eating it right there. Checked myself, then wrapped it for FTC. Off to the party in a little bit so I'll post an update later. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    AWESOME! Can't wait to hear if it tastes as good as it looks.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That looks crazy good especially all that crunchy goodness that definitely would go on the cooks plate at my house!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    So the ham was a hit!  It was well - received.  There were some bark lovers who loved the more caramelized bits.  The pepper jelly glaze added a nice sweetness,   but it needs more heat. Egged ham beats other hams by far.  Next time,  I'll cook  it at the right temp and pull it at 135F. I might try to add a chunk or two of apple wood for smoke too.  @Mickey's naked ham cooks inspired me,  so a big thank you goes out to him! 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    So easy, so good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Springram
    Options
    @Caliking - I have done several naked hams the Mickey way. Turns out wonderful every time. Just wondering about the Pineapple Head. Did it add anything? Asking because I have some in the spice rack but have not used it much.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Springram - Mickey got it right. naked is the way to go. The rub did not add much, and next time I would just skip it. I would add more smoke for flavor though, and still glaze. May add some Habanero Death Dust to the jelly next time. The bark was wonderful after being glazed.  

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I'd be careful with the smoke, I over smoked the first one I did.  But that glaze sounds like a fantatic idea. Of course I think if you are doing fruit wood for the smoke you would be fine.  I did pecan and apple and the pecan overwhelmed it a little.  Still great for sandwiches though. Just a little to much smoke for serving it as a piece of ham straight up. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.