Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a Costco membership today

I live in Southwest Austin and fairly close to a SAMs and a Costco. I've been a member of SAMs for 25 years, I guess. I dropped by the Costco and browsed around. Found some good prices on stuff and the meats looked really good. I decided to sign up. Now, what do I do about my SAMs membership? Do I fire them all together or keep my membership? I bought myself rack of Pork. Saw Prime packer briskets for 2.65/lb. I think I'll like this place.
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You'll like Costco much better than Sam's in the long run. Overall the quality is higher.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I cancelled my Sam's membership at one point (liked Costco better), but then there were things I needed that Sam's had and Costco didn't...so I keep both now.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Well...now you can buy some wagyu on sale.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sams is better for hardware type things,  IMO.  Occasionally I hear of folks findingvgood deals on meat.  Overall,  the quality of food,  seafood,  beef,  wine,  and liquor items at Costco blows Sams away.  I've  been a member of either Costco or Sam's  at different times,  and currently have both. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have both as SAMs is across the street from work (just till March)and Costco is 50 miles from the house in Salado.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Similar to Lowe's and HD, Costco is better for some things and Sam's for others.  However in this case I would say Costco is the clear winner overall.  Certainly better meat with a wider selection.  We have a Sam's nearby but only have a Costco membership.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• I'm off to check out the brand new one in Cedar Park, TX.  Film at 11.
    Gittin' there...
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I keep both. They have their individual roles, as many above have said. Tires for me are a better deal at Sams at least where I live. They take better care.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    If you do decide to stick with Costco, be sure to cancel your Sam's membership and they will refund the entire year's membership cost - at least this used to be their policy.  I used to be a Sam's member but switched to Costco at our new house since there is no Sam's nearby.  We are also members at BJs since they have different items we use that make the membership cost worth it.

If they still offer the full refund, you could cancel your Sam's membership and see how you like Costco - you can change your mind later.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    @Shiff. Thanks
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • First time I ever saw prime brisket for sale. The lines were horrible but I got a membership all the same.

Does anyone know if a cryovac packer brisket freezes well?
    Gittin' there...
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Yes. I freeze them.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • I bought my last brisket at Sams in cryo and it was a prime...13 lbs for 32 bucks...we are lucky...swmbo employer pays for both Sams and costco...and there are rumors that both are building locations closer to us.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...