Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Standing rib roast

Tonight's dinner, just something I threw together from things I found around the house - bell peppers, onions, beef stock, butter, garlic, salt, oregano, basil, a few sprigs of rosemary. Oh yeah, and a standing rib roast. You know, just laying around the house stuff. ;)

Here's the roast before going on the Egg:

Coming along. This is after 45 minutes at 400. Time to lower the temp to 325 and cook it for another 2 hours or so:

I'l update in a couple hours when it's done.
·

Comments

• jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,314
    Man, wish I had a standing rib roast laying around my house.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • Me too! Looking good.
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
    ·
  • New2QNew2Q Posts: 164
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, I might be fibbing a little about having a standing rib roast just laying around. :)

Here's it finished on the grill - you can hardly read it but the thermapen says 134...so I overshot it by 4 degrees.  Live and learn - it was a smallish 2 rib rib roast so it cooked pretty quick:

And here it is on the counter before being put in foil and rested for 15 minuets:

After resting:

After removing the ribs (for carnivorous goodness later) and slicing the end:

And finally plated:

If you've been considering a standing rib roast on the Egg I highly recommend giving it a go.  It was delicious and the smoke definitely added to the flavor of the roast.  While I still like oven-roasted roasts, I can now say I prefer the Egg as a roasting machine!
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,293
    Next time, reverse sear. Medium rare throughout, especially the spinalis muscle.
    ·
  • New2QNew2Q Posts: 164
    @Eggcelsior - I need to give reverse sear another shot.  The only time I tried it was on pork chops and I ended up searing too long and shot way past the 145 for the chops (which happens very quickly at those high heats).  I guess a big ol' roast will be less likely to shoot way past the target temp so it probably is a good way to try reverse sear.  Of course with a  $60 rib roast I have a hard time bringing myself to trying something new. :)
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,317
    I wish my wife liked medium rare meat. I'd cook more of these larger standing or ribeye roast items.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • I wish my wife liked medium rare meat. I'd cook more of these larger standing or ribeye roast items.
    I have the same problem.  My wife won't eat anything unless it's cooked past well done.  I guess I could slice off a piece and put it back on the egg for an extra hour or so.
    Fayetteville, Ga
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    I always cook a standing rib raised grate, 300, direct, to 115-118. Let the roast rest while preparing rest of the meal. Slice the cow and I will throw it back on the egg or in a cast iron skillet for anyone who wants more char and everyone is happy. I did this for 15 people last year and I have been elected to do it again this year. Once at my son's (13 people) and again at my daughters (15 people).
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • TackmanTackman Posts: 224
    Just a few quick questions GrannyX4. How much did the roast weigh? And how long did it cook? I know, cook to temp, but I'd like to have an idea for the way the the dinner is going to go. Thanks.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,544
    It looks beautiful.  I am sure those veggies were awesome with the beef juices.  

If you want to give the reverse sear a try- one tip is to make sure the meat rests a bit so the temp stops rising, then throw it on a hot grill or use cast iron.  It will only be on the grill a short time so it shouldn't raise the internal temp much.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·