Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork shoulder tough, what did I do wrong

I did my first shoulder this morning. I cut my 7.5lb pork shoulder in "half". Cooked indirect at 325 until each half was approx 170 IT, about 3 hours. FTC for 2 hours and it's tough to pull....

What did I do wrong?

LBGE

BTFU!

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Pork shoulder is best cooked to 195-200 internal. It won't rise in temp enough when you FTC if you pulled it at 170. I bet it will still taste good though.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Pulled pork needs to be cook to an internal temp of between 195 to about 205 depending on the piece of meat.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Should be great sliced pork though. Hope you enjoyed it!! 

Most do shoulders or butts at 250° dome temp, indirect to 195-200°. 1.5-2 hours per pound (weight of one piece, not total weight). Others turbo cook it. Higher temp, foiled at some point. I don't remember the details as I've never done it. A search should turn up something.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Yeah, I was turboing it. I swore I read guy were pulling at @ 165 and letting it rise. I appreciate the feedback. The good new is I have two more in the freezer. This on was just done to freeze and make tacos, chili, ect with so the extra summer will probably help.

As usual, even a bad cook tastes great off the BGE.

LBGE

BTFU!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Foil it around 160 and cook till tender. 200/205
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I did a 10 lb one today. Semi-turbo @325 grate per Maverick. 6-1/2 hours to 200, then FTC for a couple of hours. Fall apart tender and moist, great bark too.  
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Have not used the foil turbo technique to speed the cook. The beauty of the Egg is the ability to maintain a low temp (220 degrees) for hours (15-20?) on one load of fuel. Forget the foil and let the roast cook for the 12 - 14 hours required. 
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Cook to 205.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI