Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt ends

Options
Anyone have any reccomendations for making burnt ends as the main course instead of as the byproduct of ribs or brisket? I've thought about just trying a flat instead of a a packer but the forum concensus seems to suggest against it.

Any other ways?
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Hey Mike, I think burnt ends are traditionally made with the point. Maybe get just a point and go from there? Why just burnt ends? 

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Yep...you are correct...my last brisket I did the burnt ends with the point...I injected with beef broth but the whole thing got done about 6 hours early...so was was a very long ftc...taste was great but it pretty much fell apart and was impossible to slice... better then the alternative...that being said swmbo favorite bbq is burnt ends...

I've heard that many butchers that sell the flat only end up selling the point as a roast...but I wasn't sure what to look for or if it would even work.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    I know my local butcher shop sells points, but they're more expensive than packers. Found another thread that might be interesting for you: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159797/burnt-ends-sort-of-hot-n-fast#latest
    Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I rarely see point's that are by themselves except corned around St. Patrick's day. There was a thread not to long ago about using chuck roasts to do burnt ends. If I can get the kids to bed I'll try to find the link. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I know my local butcher shop sells points, but they're more expensive than packers. Found another thread that might be interesting for you: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159797/burnt-ends-sort-of-hot-n-fast#latest
    Cheers
    B_B
    Thanks Badger...I'll start looking / asking around...I know a couple shops that will do about anything you ask for...but if it's as much as the packer it's probably not worth it...good read though...thanks for the link
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I rarely see point's that are by themselves except corned around St. Patrick's day. There was a thread not to long ago about using chuck roasts to do burnt ends. If I can get the kids to bed I'll try to find the link. 
    Thanks Scott...I will search too...I tried a chuck roast last weekend but may have been in too much of a hurry...it didn't end well...we ordered out.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I found brisket point by itself at Kroger. 

I would recommend against making burnt ends as the main course. When I've made a brisket in the past,  the burnt ends were the appetizer -  the prelude to the brisket.  When i made just the burnt ends as the entree,  my  body expected there to be some brisket following it,  but none came.  It was somewhat of a let down.  SWMBO  and I both commented on it.  Consensus  was to not make burnt ends by themselves again. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I've only done brisket a couple times but we have had burnt ends as the entre and then flat the next day or even sliced and froze it for brisket sandwiches later. I think burnt ends make a nice, totally fatty and unhealthy entre. The point from our last 13 lb brisket fed 3 adults and some kids fairly well although the kids are not big eaters.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks gmac