Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you FTC steaks?

So I am notorious for setting a time for dinner only to have it run long due to mismanagement with egg time. I wanna do some ribeyes reverse seared for a buddy to really impress him but the wife wants chicken so I wanna get the steaks done and then whip out the chicken really fast. Thoughts on doin FTC on steaks? Bad idea?

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Do the chicken first and then throw on the steaks. Chicken can be held and even reheated if necessary. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • I've never FTC'ed steak and probably wouldn't. I'd agree with @GrannyX4 and do the chicken first. Your other options are to get a 2nd egg or have KFC deliver some chicken for your wife.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Another option is instead or reverse sear, do a Trex style.  Sear the steaks, and while they are resting for 20 minutes, you can lower the temp of the Egg to 400, throw on the chicken and then the steaks to finish.  You may be able to get it all done at the same time.

Do the chicken first and then throw on the steaks. Chicken can be held and even reheated if necessary. ;;)

+1
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • What is FTC?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Foil, towel, cooler.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    What is FTC?
    When a large hunk of meat (Pork butt, Brisket, etc) is done earlier than you want, you can wrap in heavy duty foil, wrap with towels, and placed in a cooler, with additional towels to take up the extra space as needed.  It will stay hot for 4 - 6 hours until you are ready.  Always plan to finish early, as you can always FTC until needed, a lot better than everyone standing around waiting to eat while the cook finishes.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can FTC anything, but steaks, cooked hot on the outside, will keep on cooking if you FTC.  I'd let them cool down on the outside for a while, then FTC them when the outside cools down to the inside temp and throw them back on the egg right before serving.
    edited December 2013
    I like to hottub steaks and then just quick sear. About 45 mins in 115-120 degree water for every 3/4 of an inch. Then a quick sear to finish. Best steaks and you don't really have to hold them just finish and serve.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    You could beer cooler sous vide the steaks and then just sear them on the egg when you're ready to serve them.  I'd put them in 130F water for an hour or so.
  • GrannyX4 said:
    Foil, towel, cooler.
    Thanks! 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe