Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crown Roast Expertise Please

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Got 15 adults coming for Christmas dinner and I ordered a 15 rib crown roast. I never did one before but plenty of rib roasts. Any favorite recipes on stuffing and rub or glaze? Maybe a few cooking setup tips. Thinking about indirect at 375 with drip pan till 140 and rest.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Please disregard. Wrong thread for my post. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • NautiRogue
    NautiRogue Posts: 118
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Can't say that I've ever done a crown roast, but I was in Fresh Market the other day and saw a cooking magazine at the checkout lane that caught my eye.  "Holiday Entertaining" from Cook's Illustrated (CooksIllustrated.com) had an edition that highlighted a Crown Roast of Pork.

The article regarding the process of developing the recipe is interesting, and the recipe looks delicious!  Their biggest discovery and recommendation in the article is that you should roast the crown bone side down at 475 Dome until the meat registers 110 IT, and then flip it and cook at 300 degress Dome to 140 IT.  Any stuffing, or they recommend potatoes and shallots, should be roasted in the pan under the meat to allow for flipping the meat but also to bathe them in the meaty drippings.  apple slices can also be added as aromatic, but they become too mushy to serve.

Interestingly enough, they also had a short side article that recommended using apple cider instead of apple juice when cooking.

I recommend the magazine!