Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoking cheese

Options
I just purchased an amazen cold smoker for my BGE and wish to some cheese today. My question is how long should I smoke the cheese? I also read on the naked whiz site to not put the freshly smoked cheese in the refrigerator if this is so I long do I wait before putting in refrigerator? How long must I wait before eating the cheese?

Comments

• bettysnephew
    Options
    I would smoke for about 2 hours the first time and adjust to your taste the next time.  Cheese can be overpowered by too strong a smoke.  If using pellets try to get a fruitwood/oak mix as the pure fruitwood can be a bit overpowering and tends to go out which makes the smoke bitter.  I vacuum pack with a foodsaver type machine and then let it mellow in the beer fridge in the garage for about 2 weeks or longer.  The flavor seems to mellow out with storage.  DO NOT put it in your wife's good kitchen refrigerator unwrapped immediately after smoking or you will be in the dog house with Rover for a long while.  The smoke flavor immediately after processing is akin to licking a dirty ashtray. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    Depends on the cheese and how much smoke that thing makes. I use the soldering iron method and I just start sampling after a couple of hours. When done it goes in the beer fridge or cooler if it's cold enough outside.
  • Marcusp
    Options
    I would smoke for about 2 hours the first time and adjust to your taste the next time.  Cheese can be overpowered by too strong a smoke.  If using pellets try to get a fruitwood/oak mix as the pure fruitwood can be a bit overpowering and tends to go out which makes the smoke bitter.  I vacuum pack with a foodsaver type machine and then let it mellow in the beer fridge in the garage for about 2 weeks or longer.  The flavor seems to mellow out with storage.  DO NOT put it in your wife's good kitchen refrigerator unwrapped immediately after smoking or you will be in the dog house with Rover for a long while.  The smoke flavor immediately after processing is akin to licking a dirty ashtray. 

• Looper
    Looper Posts: 44
    Options
    I've found 6 weeks aging after smoking is the right amount to eliminate any ashy taste.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Marcusp said:
    I just purchased an amazen cold smoker for my BGE and wish to some cheese today. My question is how long should I smoke the cheese? I also read on the naked whiz site to not put the freshly smoked cheese in the refrigerator if this is so I long do I wait before putting in refrigerator? How long must I wait before eating the cheese?
    I never smoke mine more than about 1 hour. Too much smoke is very bad for cheese.....and, be sure you don't put your cheese in the smoker before the initial smoke has a chance to clear some.
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    I go several hours and use hickory. Let the cheese get to room temp before smoking, and then let it set again a bit before vac-packing. Give it at least 2 weeks in the fridge, but it's normal to taste test while vac-packing. <grin>
    Cherry Hill, NJ