Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-- Homemade Bloody Mary Mix-- OT

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Searched the forum and couldn't find any homemade recipes. Usually use Zing Zang mix, but I want to make my own mix with tomatoes from my garden.

Anyone else do this?

Then @Nola, I will follow it up with the bacon infused vodka.... Boom.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Hard to beat Zing Zang
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Hard to beat Zing Zang

I hear that, but also hard to use all the tomatoes my plants (2) are generating. We have a brunch ay my house saturday AM. I want a homemade bloddy mary bar. I am going to get everyone bombed.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Chubbs.  Congrats on your crop of tomatoes.  Sounds like you did it right !!!!!  =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Another way of getting rid of tomatoes is bring them to a bad plebeian play.
    Options
    Chubbs.  Congrats on your crop of tomatoes.  Sounds like you did it right !!!!!  =D>

Thanks VI, tomatoes did well, but cucumbers have been incredible. All did well but bell peppers honestly. Rabbits kept getting the plants

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Thanks VI, tomatoes did well, but cucumbers have been incredible. All did well but bell peppers honestly. Rabbits kept getting the plants

Maybe it's time for some Hasenpfeffer

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I don't know if you do any canning but the juices that separate in the process make wonderful tomato juice.  

Tomato Juice
    Vodka
    Beef Broth
    Texas Pete
    Lemon Juice
    Pimento Stuffed Olives 
    Lime Wedge
    Red Pepper Flakes
    Crushed Black Pepper
    Garlic Powder
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Puree a few pounds of fresh tomatoes and some celery.  Run it through a sieve.  Take the resultant juice and acidify - fresh lemon and/or apple cider vinegar.  Add salt, Worcestershire sauce, and horseradish.  Pepper and hot sauce to taste.   You can add some anchovy paste to the blender if you like that flavor profile (I do).  Some people add a sweetener (I don't). 

Keep everything fresh, and refrigerate.  It will taste better the next day.

Baconcello vodka optional.
    Options
    Zing Zang here and rim the glass with Old Bay.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mickey said:

Hard to beat Zing Zang

TWSS...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Stone cold pimp!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @Chubbs  How did the mix turn out?  Have you ever tried smoking olives for your bloodys?  
    Chicago q does their own in house for their martinis.  They were the bomb.com and want to try making my own.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DenaSmoker
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Zing Zang here and rim the glass with Old Bay.
    Zing Zang here as well.  Although I did find a homemade mix from the Eastern Shore that was pretty darn good.

Old Bay...I put that sh*t on everything!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited December 2013
    Options
    There are tons of recipes on the intertube. Just as important as the mix is the vodka. I prefer Tito's. Made in Texas. Best stuff around. And be sure to have lots of garnishes. Grilled Spam and pickled Okra are surprisingly good garnishes.

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    This should be the last time a drinking thread is OT...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2013
    Options
    when I was drinking I use to make mine with Clamato juice whorischester sauce horse radish celery salt and some tobasco sauce and of course some Ketel 1 oh I almost forgot salt and pepper 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • DenaSmoker
    Options

said:
    There are tons of recipes on the intertube. Just as important as the mix is the vodka. I prefer Tito's. Made in Texas. Best stuff around. And be sure to have lots of garnishes. Grilled Spam and pickled Okra are surprisingly good garnishes.
    +1 for Titos. I used to drink Ketel One exclusively, but once I tried Titos I was done with Ketal One...and it's way cheaper!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    when I was drinking I use to make mine with Clamato juice whorischester sauce horse radish celery salt and some tobasco sauce and of course some Ketel 1 oh I almost forgot salt and pepper 
    Bloody Caesar

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I alway's liked Mr&Mrs T's bloody mary mix. 

Since discovering a Caesar, have not gone back.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Know this is an old thread - but, I alway's liked Mr&Mrs T's bloody mary mix. 

Since discovering a Caesar, have not gone back.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Our company Christmas party is tomorrow night. We hold it at a resort just north of me. They make a Caesar that is $18.00. The chef has a glass walled charcouterie room between the bar and restaurant. They serve the Caesar with a 1/4" slice of his homemade bacon, Grey Goose and imported olives. The glass is 20 oz. Have to treat myself to at least one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Eastern Shore mixes are Sassy Mary, Clammy Mary and Crabby Mary.

Zing Zang is just another generic grocery store bottle of fancy tomato juice.

The Marys are the best I've ever had, so is Tito's.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Tomato juice, hot sauce, lime, Worcester and smirnoff. I'll spend the $ on Glenfiddich.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    We use Zing Zang, but doctor it up with celery salt, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Crystal hot sauce and our homemade brisket/pork rub.  We served to the gang at the Plano Fest last month.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.