Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Experiences

In the short year that I've had my BGE, I've gone through a BBQ Guru and now have a CyberQ Wi-Fi.  There was nothing wrong with the DigiQ at all.  In fact, the reason that I got rid of it (sold it on CraigsList) was because I LOVED it!  The only problem with it is that I'm a network engineer, and I wanted the Wi-Fi capbilities of the CyberQ.

After I got the CyberQ, I had set it up and configured it.  It worked perfectly across my wireless LAN.  Once, I put a couple chickens on the BGE and took my kids to a Pacer's game.  While we watched the game, I was checking the status of the cook and adjusting the temp from my Android.  As the game came to the end, I saw that the chicken was going to be done quicker than we could get home, so I set the ramp function and adjusted the ramp temp from Banker's Life Field House.  When we got home, the pit was at a steady 170 dome and the chicken was excellent!

Unfortunately, a couple months after that, the Wi-Fi stopped working and I wasn't able to connect to the controller remotely.  I emailed BBQ Guru and they had me try several troubleshooting steps.  When it was apparent that something was wrong with the unit, they not only replaced it, but they cross-shipped it to me to prevent me from missing out on any cook time!

Many props to the BBQ Guru Service!

Comments

• NautiRogue
    NautiRogue Posts: 118
    edited December 2013
    Here's a situation that I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced with the BGE and a BBQ Guru device or any other controller.  Last weekend, I had thrown a 19 pound pork butt on for some good pulled pork.  It was a very cold morning, probably around 18 degrees.

On previous cooks, I've noticed condensation dripping from the blower, but I've never really thought much about it.  However, on this day, I had decided to run some errands during the cook.  Shortly after I had left the house, I checked the cook from my phone and noticed that the dome temp was down a bit.  No big deal.  The CyberQ will handle it.  

I checked it again a while later.  The temperature was further down.  OK, this was weird.  And the CyberQ was reporting that the output percentage was at 100%.  Something wasn't right, but I was 20 minutes away and I still had some stuff to do, so I hurried to finish up my errands and returned home.

I found that the fan was silent, but the controller still showed 100% output.  I pulled the fan, and touched the axle.  It wasn't moving.  I realized that the condensation that I've seen dripping in the past must have frozen inside the fan and locked it up.  I took the blower upstairs, turned my wife's blow dryer on it for 30 seconds, and dirty water seeped out of the blower exhaust pipe as it thawed into the bathroom sink.

Has anyone else had this happen?  Any suggestions to prevent it?

I have always positioned my blower horizontally when I connect it to the EGG.  I think I'm going to experiment with connecting it with the blower vertically to try to provent the water from being able to pool and freeze.  I'll let you know how it works out!
  • NautiRogue do you leave the fan on your Egg all the time or do you take it off when the cook is done ? I would think that if you leave it on condensation forms as the Egg cools down and that might be your problem 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • NautiRogue, I've only had my cyber q a few months and have had no issues with it...I did have a setup question about the notification piece that is still unresolved, but support was very responsive. 
    I did see the condensation buildup in my fan once, but it didnt inhibit the cook...I usually take it off when I start the snuffout rather then using the plug...not sure what happened that time...it was cool out, but not below freezing yet...not sure what caused it, I thought maybe something I cooked was directly over the vent and it dripped down ect...

Now that its cold, I bring my parts inside as soon as possible and I try to let them sit out overnight on the counter before I put them away...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • NautiRogue do you leave the fan on your Egg all the time or do you take it off when the cook is done ? I would think that if you leave it on condensation forms as the Egg cools down and that might be your problem 
    I do tend to leave the blower on the Egg and just close the damper of the blower to kill the fire.  Wouldn't the effect be the same if I used the plug to shut the Egg down, though?  You have to kill the fire somehow. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

About a month after I got my PartyQ, I had a lot of trouble with it showing actual temp inside the egg.

I had a couple phone conversations with a rep at Guru trying to fix the prob, no luck.  The rep asked me to send it in for evaluation.  She took care of it and returned it to me in very short order.  Very pleased with the service.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Glad to hear that you guys have had a great experience with BBQ Guru. Maybe they have things straightened out now as my experience was not the same.  I bought the CyberQ Wifi about a year ago. I had all kinds of trouble getting it set up. Over the course of a few weeks, I called for support 5-6 times and left messages with never a call back. I emailed 3 different times and finally got an email response to install the new firmware. These calls and emails were during their business hours and not over the holidays. I tried installing the new firmware and couldn't get it accomplished. I tried calling Guru again - no response. I also spent several hours on the phone with my internet provider and the tech support people for my WIFI router. After investing 7-8 hrs into trying to get it set up on my network, I eventually just used it in adhoc mode. Meanwhile, two times when I used it in adhoc mode, it would be working just fine and then suddenly it would lock up my computer and crash the CyberQ controller too. Then the stoker fan would continue to run causing my pit temp to go way up and out of my set range. I emailed them about this too and never got a response - then I just gave up on getting any help from them. For some reason, it started functioning correctly in adhoc mode so I used it a few times that way over the past few months. I had to keep a very close eye on it as I just didn't trust it to keep working. 

Their website says they will be happy to install the firmware update for you if you pay them for their services. I paid $400 for the set-up and it had issues right from the start - I didn't feel like I needed to pay additional money for "their services" when they wouldn't even call me back. Yes - I'm still a little bitter about the whole thing since no one could take the time to even pick up the phone.

End rant...

Here's the great news:

Last weekend, a friend of mine came over and I mentioned the issues I had with the CyberQ. He's a computer geek and after several hours, we were able to finally get the new firmware installed. I'm using it today and it's working great! I love the functionality of it and I hope that I will be able to trust it now. I just wish I had some better customer service experience from the beginning. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Port forwarding and network configurations of this type aren't for the feint of heart.  As a network engineer, it's pretty much all in a day's work for me, but for the layman, I can understand that you'd have some issues.  I'm sorry that the BBQ Guru support wasn't more available to you.  

In my experience, I would try it one weekend, email them my issue, and they would respond via email within a day or two during business hours.  I'd try their suggestions again on a weekend, and they'd respond via email during business hours again.  It worked for me because I didn't have any extended cooks during this time where I wanted to be able to be remote.  However, I did make it extremely plain to them that I use the pit at least 3 times per week and I didn't want to be without my CyberQ for long.  They understood and were sensitive to my concern.  They very generously cross-shipped a new unit to me.

• Ever use the pit pal app? I just downloaded it but haven't had a chace to use it yet...Looks Interesting. 
  • I downloaded the Pit Pal app for my Christmas ham cook, and I like it a lot!  Very handy to have the logs of past cooks.  I'll definitely continue using this one!  Thanks for the tip!
  • the CyberQ is pretty cool.  Wifey was not too excited that I was buying a computer for theEgg, but now she is thinks it's awesome, since I don't have to go out every 10 minuted to check on the Egg.

I also downloaded the PitPal for Android, that thing is great.  It works pretty good, and you can really track your cooks if you export the data into a excel worksheet.

The CyberQ was having issues with the Email notifications, but that was mostly because there are very few mail servers that are not secure. BUT BBQ Guru has setup a private email server that is not secure just to fix this.  If you email them, they can send you the settings.  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Coletrain
    Coletrain Posts: 30
    edited December 2013
    Here's a situation that I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced with the BGE and a BBQ Guru device or any other controller.  Last weekend, I had thrown a 19 pound pork butt on for some good pulled pork.  It was a very cold morning, probably around 18 degrees.

On previous cooks, I've noticed condensation dripping from the blower, but I've never really thought much about it.  However, on this day, I had decided to run some errands during the cook.  Shortly after I had left the house, I checked the cook from my phone and noticed that the dome temp was down a bit.  No big deal.  The CyberQ will handle it.  

I checked it again a while later.  The temperature was further down.  OK, this was weird.  And the CyberQ was reporting that the output percentage was at 100%.  Something wasn't right, but I was 20 minutes away and I still had some stuff to do, so I hurried to finish up my errands and returned home.

I found that the fan was silent, but the controller still showed 100% output.  I pulled the fan, and touched the axle.  It wasn't moving.  I realized that the condensation that I've seen dripping in the past must have frozen inside the fan and locked it up.  I took the blower upstairs, turned my wife's blow dryer on it for 30 seconds, and dirty water seeped out of the blower exhaust pipe as it thawed into the bathroom sink.

I have always positioned my blower horizontally when I connect it to the EGG.  I think I'm going to experiment with connecting it with the blower vertically to try to provent the water from being able to pool and freeze.  I'll let you know how it works out!

I have condensation built up on my blower a lot. When I pull the fan from the adaptor door water will run out. I have never had it freeze on me but could see that happening in freezing temps. I don't know what causes it. Probably moisture seeping from the ceramic I guess. I think playing with the way the blower is positioned might help.
  • Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    Coletrain said:

I have condensation built up on my blower a lot. When I pull the fan from the adaptor door water will run out. I have never had it freeze on me but could see that happening in freezing temps. I don't know what causes it. Probably moisture seeping from the ceramic I guess. I think playing with the way the blower is positioned might help.

I have seen the same thing with my XLBGE and the CyberQ. Moisture seems to collect in the bottom track of the vent slider. Mine doesn't seem to get into the blower unit though. It just drips onto the deck and freezes into a little mound. How about heat tape applied to the blower unit? You can find various sizes and shapes on the internet. Just would need an electricity source but you should have one for the CyberQ unit anyway.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • Alphonse
    Alphonse Posts: 80
    edited December 2013
    I too have had condensation in the blower adapter and have had water run out when I remove the fan.  My experience says it occurs when the weather is cool, the Egg is running at low temps (200F for example), and the blower is running rarely.  One major component of combustion is water and if you have the Egg stabilized for a low temp run, it sits with very little combustion air roaring in.  Then the moisture inside the egg condenses on the cold stainless steel sheet metal tube the fan is attached to.  This tube is a great heat exchanger since it thin sheet metal and is mounted low on the Egg in a cool spot.  The solution is to simply orient the fan vertical in order that the condensation not run into it.  
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • The CyberQ was having issues with the Email notifications, but that was mostly because there are very few mail servers that are not secure. BUT BBQ Guru has setup a private email server that is not secure just to fix this.  If you email them, they can send you the settings.  
    Thanks for the heads up...I was supposed to get an email when that was up and running but maybe I overlooked it...appreciate the info
  • mine does it also but when you are doing cooks with high smoke and it cant all get out the daisy wheel, it must go somewhere and it builds up as condensation to go back out the bottom...if you opened your bottom vent while this is happening, you would see a mass exit of smoke... thats what I see is causing mine. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited December 2013
    I bought the Cyber Q a year ago. I too, have the same issues not getting it to work w/computer etc., and the lack of response from BBQ Guru. I finally just gave up and self monitor which negates the reason I laid down the green for this thing. It is my single regretted purchase for the egg, a huge waste of money. I would go Stoker if ever presented with the delima again.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • I bought a CyberQ wifi I had it for about 2 weeks I tried for a total of about 6 hours trying to get it to sync with my iPhone and macbook pro and for the life of me I couldn't get it to work ,I got aggravated so I packed it up and returned it for a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 I have had one for my 1st egg and love it so now I have 2 DigiQ DX2 I thought that the wifi would be nice that I could monitor my cooks from my bed rather then have to get up in the middle of the night toy see whats going on but as I said couldn't get it to work so now I use binoculars and look out the window 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Since I started rotating the fan vertically, I have had no issues with it freezing up.  I've held 225 since 11:00 AM this morning with a 12 pound pork butt on the pit.  The temps have gone from 32 to 27 with -12 forecast for tonight.  I expect the meat will be on the pit for another couple of hours because it's stalled.  By the time I pull this meat off the grill, I expect the temps to be in the teens or lower.  If it doesn't freeze tonight, I think the problem is solved.

• BTW, here's a pic of the orientation that seems to work for me.