Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deal of a lifetime!!!

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited December 2013
    Options
    caliking said:

I can't wait for this thread to pick up again in the evening... when the drinking starts.

I thought it already started  :D
    canuckland
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Obviously the store made a mistake on pricing, which is their bad.  But to take advantage of that mistake to the tune of buying out there stock, well that just seems wrong to me.  Buying a couple of bags?  Sure , at least it would bring the mistake to the attention of the manager.  As far as taking advantage because it was a big box store, well thats just a rationalization.  I don't agree with "Taxing the Rich" more because they are rich, and I don't agree that taking advantage of a big box store for the same reasons.  Its vengeful.  The Big Box employs a lot of people, brings in revenue at the local state and federal levels, just like the Mom and Pops.

My half a cents woth.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    I know alot of former and current Lowes execs.  Trust me, they're not worried.  They'll look at their customer acquisition cost - factor in the extra business they'll get from this telling his story (not even considering being on a message board like this) plus the op definitely isn't going to switch to Home Depot anytime soon.  This more than makes up for the $170 "mistake".
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    brycos said:
    I know alot of former and current Lowes execs.  Trust me, they're not worried.  They'll look at their customer acquisition cost - factor in the extra business they'll get from this telling his story (not even considering being on a message board like this) plus the op definitely isn't going to switch to Home Depot anytime soon.  This more than makes up for the $170 "mistake".
    So let me understand this. You think he Lowe's execs will think this is a positive? Do you really think they will be excited to see more customers coming in the door in hopes they screwed up something else so they can get taken advantage of? While the old saying is "There is no such thing as bad advertising" I don't see how this helps Lowes in any way shape or form. No one I know is going to hear this story and rush to Lowes. If I'm that executive, I am much more worried about control issues and other problems that let this happen. Not happy to piss away $170 in revenue.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I was thinking about stopping by Lowe's on the way home and seeing if ours was marked wrong. At $3.99, I'd try A bag. I looked online for my store and its marked at $13.99. Not sure if I want to try it at that price considering how many negative reviews its gotten. I probably won't look, though. Too lazy and I have to go to Home Depot to get my Dad's Christmas present. One box store a day is enough for me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    This is a prime example of how there are no absolutes anymore.  We now create our own moral laws based on how things make us feel.  And then we act perplexed when we see our society disintegrating.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    I can't believe this thread, everyone is hating on the OP.  This is the first time I have seen this on this forum.  Can't we just be happy for him and keep the snide comments to ourselves?  FWIW, I would have done the same thing as @eggheadinflorida.  
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This is a prime example of how there are no absolutes anymore.  We now create our own moral laws based on how things make us feel.  And then we act perplexed when we see our society disintegrating.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I can't believe this thread, everyone is hating on the OP.  This is the first time I have seen this on this forum.  Can't we just be happy for him and keep the snide comments to ourselves?  FWIW, I would have done the same thing as @eggheadinflorida.  
    No hate from over here. Just lulz.

• GATraveller
    Options
    The Dude Abides

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    brycos said:
    So let me understand this. You think he Lowe's execs will think this is a positive? Do you really think they will be excited to see more customers coming in the door in hopes they screwed up something else so they can get taken advantage of? While the old saying is "There is no such thing as bad advertising" I don't see how this helps Lowes in any way shape or form. No one I know is going to hear this story and rush to Lowes. If I'm that executive, I am much more worried about control issues and other problems that let this happen. Not happy to piss away $170 in revenue.
    No, I'm not saying their excited about it!  There just not worried about this 1 incident.  When you consider how many Lowes there are, I would guess they have many incidents like this everyday - maybe not as much as $170/incident.

I would guess that Lowes figures they have a lot more than $170 to loose if the customer gets into a bitching contest with one of their store managers and that they will get more than $170 in profit from the op in the future.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Getting in this a little late...........

In my state, a price tag is nothing more than an "invitation to negotiate."  Whether it's a box of cereal, a car, or a TV, the price on the tag does not need to be honored if it is incorrect.  Reason being, when you pick it of the shelf and go to the cash register, YOU are offering them the amount on the tag, and that is their chance to accept or not.

Some stores will honor a wrong price for customer service reasons, but they do not have to.  Recently, WalMart had some $500-600 mispriced piece of electronics on their website for under $10.  They sold out in minutes, then cancelled the orders when they realized what went wrong.  They sent everyone $10 gift cards, yet plenty still complained trying to say they entered a "contract" by buying it at that price--not a chance.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Wait... There were absolutes? I must have missed them. Never heard of such a thing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Another case: a few months ago, a major airline (United?) published crazy low fares for a brief time during the day. A guy spotted the fares online, called up several friends, each purchased several high-dollar fares (international, cross country). The airline honoured the fares, as far as I remember, because that is the price they advertised.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Can't we all just get along.......?

That's it! I am so outa here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Options
    most ecommerce sites have a disclaimer, for example:

6.     PRICING INFORMATION
    Walmart cannot confirm the price of an item until after your order is placed.  Pricing errors may occur on the Walmart Sites or through Walmart Marketplace retailers.  Walmart reserves the right to cancel any orders containing pricing errors, with no further obligations to you, even after your receipt of an order confirmation or shipping notice from Walmart.  Walmart may, at its discretion, either contact you for instructions or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.  Pricing for products may be different on the Walmart Sites or from prices available in Walmart stores or on Walmart mobile applications (pricing and availability remain subject to confirmation at checkout for mobile users
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options

nice knowing you LS
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I remember when this used to be a much more friendlier place

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options

I'm just glad you shipped out your Elfster package before this.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Little Steven
    Options
    Right state. Wrong giftee

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nysportsfan
    Options
    Merry Christmas?
  • GATraveller
    Options

Does this help??

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:

I can't wait for this thread to pick up again in the evening... when the drinking starts.

@Eggcelsior - now I want to go find a deal on some NS!

Why wait?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Speaking of drinking...

CANADAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada Has Turned Air Hockey Into A Drinking Game
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    When shopping for chicken legs I once found the price to be .19 / lb instead of 1.99...I showed it to the grocer and they fixed it...but offered to sell me the ones i wanted at the mistake price...I passed and waited while they fixed it...it was a chain store...

I don't fault OP for demanding the marked price...I wouldn't feel right about it but to each their own...unless the original intent was to buy all they had at the normal price, I think OP took advantage of the situation which is a little more questionable imo...but if you don't feel bad about it the go for it...

I don't really buy into all the karma stuff but hopefully when OP is on the other side of a mistake the other party does the right thing...whatever that is.

Treat others the way you want others to treat you (even if others are large companies).Two wrongs don't make a right...and all that other stuff your mom used to say.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Frankly, I have had good and bad bags of all of the brands I've tried. Cowboy has worked good for me.  As for the buying all of the bags at $3.99.  If that was what they were tagged, that is what you should pay.  You got lucky!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Little Steven:  This is how I picture you leaving.

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GATraveller
    Options

This one's going home with me today.  I can hear the dinner conversation now..."So let this be a lesson to ya kids....you wait until you see someone has made a mistake then you pounce on 'em and take 'em for all their worth till somebody stops ya!!"

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    FINALLY a day off from work... A little time to check up on my egging friends and see what's ... HOOOOOLY SHEEEEEEEEEEIIIIITTTT!!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Canugghead
    Options
    HOOOOOOLY SHEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIITTTTTT indeed, 2.7k views and counting  :D
    canuckland