Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The birth of EGGtoberfest

Options
KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With all the interest in the upcoming EGGtoberfest in Atlanta, I thought this might be a good time to reflect back to the roots of this great event and ensure that the newer forum and family members understand how it came about.[p]Although I'd love to take credit for the idea, the real pats on the back should go to Brant Warren and a gal named Renatta who hasn't posted here with us for a long long time.[p]It was almost 2 years ago exactly when the start of the great flaming wars began between our forum and some folks who use one of those other "ceramic" cookers. Back then, that forum had some interesting initial members and many of their posts (especially on cooking) were quite entertaining. There was much heated debate as to which cooking device was better and the dialogue started to get old in a hurry.[p]After a few PBRs one evening, I decided to have some real fun with this whole situation and challenged those K boys to a cooking contest. I then wisely solicited JJ as our team captain. He quickly stood up to be counted, as did JSlot, our beloved Webmaster, Brant and a few others. Team BGE was really looking forward to kicking some ass and was bitterly dissapointed when the enemy failed to put a team together and name the battlefield. [p]In a thread of BGE forum posts that followed, Brant and Renatta combined for an elegant solution: "why don't we just get together and do a little cooking" and the rest is history.[p]I will never forget the hard work and effort put forth by Bill Miller in carrying out the planning and logistics that made this very first EGGtoberfest a reality and now more than just an annual celebration of cooking on Humpty.[p]I've including a link to my challenge post on the other forum. You'll find their archives for July 98 and after to be quite amusing if you have time to peruse.[p]bottle.gif
the instigator [p]

[ul][li]The roots of EGGtoberbest[/ul]

Comments

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    KennyG,
    Is there a designated motel that everyone stays in for that weekend or just anywhere one would wish to stay?????[p]

• KennyG
    Options
    chief,[p]In the past, a block of rooms, based upon the number who register, were reserved at the Country Hearth Inn on the North perimeter. This is a fairly short drive to the event if held at the same location. This years Fest should be the biggest ever and more space might be needed.[p]K~G

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    KennyG,
    We thank ya...looking fwd to getting out of Florida

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    KennyG,
    Wow. Great story...and thanks for the link!
    Your challenge was polite and well worded. Looks like a few of the posts in that thread got trashed! Kind of glad the ceramic challenge never happened.....and that you folks used your restless energy to create something magnificent. [p]Maybe the Maryland Eggfest 2000 will also become a regular event and years from now we can look back to the post that started it. [p]This snowball (or fireball) just keeps rolling along and growing!![p]Thanks again for the story.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    KennyG,[p] I remember that well, it was a great idea that snowballed
    into one heck of a fun time for all. We look foreward
    to this year also.
    Thanks for the reminder[p] Earl

• The Colonel
    Options
    KennyG, and I seem to remember a trip to a pub the evening after the cooking--we actually ate something--Right Earl?
    yours in the (memories)egg--The Colonel

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    The Colonel,
    We ended up at the Phoenix Brewing Co., in the Prado mall just down the street from where we were staying. We did eat but mostly drank their in house brews. Unfortunately it is no longer open.

• Unknown
    Options
    KennyG, Good job Kenny, brings back those fond memories of barbs and counter barbs..
    C~W[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]The next Maryland EggFest dates have already been announced. I believe it will be called the 2nd annual fest. Correct me if I'm wrong, Tim.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    KennyG,
    It was well said then and today. But - CERAMICA'99 ?? Sure glad they didn't actually listen to your ideas all the time.[p]Tim

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    The Colonel,[p] Hey there, if i recall, J.J, Cat & the rest of the gang
    told me how good the beer would be. You were all correct,
    just took me beer after beer after beer to make up my mind.
    Still not sure, lets do it again. Hee Hee[p] Regards

Earl

• The Colonel
    Options
    JJ, That's par for the course for the Colonel. Find a good place and it closes. Hope it wasn't anything we did.
    hehehehehe
    yours in the egg, down memory lane--The Colonel

• KennyG
    Options
    Tim M,[p]What, You don't like that name? I made that suggestion after about 6-8 PBRs and before I knew that other cooker was made out of Geobond hehe[p]K~G