Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker controller

What are the pros and cons of the Stoker?
Easley SC Go! Tigers

Comments

• Nothing but good good for me......I have had my Stoker about 4 years and love the fact that my long slow cooks are never a worry. I also love the ability to monitor my meat temps and change the pit temp from my iPhone or iPad.....the Stoker has been very dependable
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I got my Stoker just before the wi-fi patch was ready and have updated it after it was ready. My Stoker is a little distance from my wireless network and although it works wireless, I prefer using an access point for the wireless. With my Stoker and access point, it's perfect. I use a Blackberry to control my cooks. Love it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Thanks Thailandandjohn I'm getting one for Christmas after thirty plus years of egging and many allnighters I think it's time to tech out.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • I love my Stoker.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    bigguy136 said:
    I got my Stoker just before the wi-fi patch was ready and have updated it after it was ready. My Stoker is a little distance from my wireless network and although it works wireless, I prefer using an access point for the wireless. With my Stoker and access point, it's perfect. I use a Blackberry to control my cooks. Love it.
    What is a Blackberry? :)
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • You will love your new Stoker and you will ask yourself, why did I not get this sooner?
  • Did any of you look into getting a CyberQ wifi instead of a Stoker? What made you pick the Stoker? I am planning on buying one for Christmas. I just can't decide which one to buy.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2013
    I have no experience  with the Stoker but I did buy a CyberQ and wound up sending it back in exchange for a DigiQ DX2 reason being for the life of me I couldn't get it to sync with my iPhone or Mac book pro laptop I spent in total about 6 hours playing with it I tried everything followed the directions to the letter of the law and my son who is a Tecno geek tryed and I was ready to throw it thru the window so I returned it .I had a DigiQ already  I wanted something for my 2nd Egg so now I have 2 DigiQ's and I'm very happy the DigiQ is very user friendly and it works great set it and forget it 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I have the CyberQ Wi-Fi, and I love it.  I'm a network engineer, so I have some technical experience that may help me out with the config to be able to access the device remotely, but it woks well, and I'd highly recommend it.  

I have no experience with the Stoker, though.  How does it compare in price?  I like the CyberQ, but I can't claim that it's cheap.
  • I am a gadget guy with leftover Christmas and birthday money so I bought the Stoker last February.(I usually buy cheaper gadgets.)  I love the Stoker.  I also got a high temperature thermocouple connection and then got a high temperature thermocouple from Thermoworks.  I got the Stoker based on the naked Whiz's reviews.  As someone said, just set it and forget it.  The network connection has been solid There was one hiccup.  It would reboot itself every time that I tried to change the temperature.  I sent it back for repairs.  I had to call them three times to get it turned around in a week and a half.  I think they got involved in trying to solve a problem that they had not had before instead of just replacing the circuit board.  They finally did and sent it back air express.  I downloaded a program called Stokerlog.  One nice feature is that you can print out your cook history, since sometimes I forget times and temperatures.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I went with my Stoker because I plan to add more eggs in the future and the Stoker is ready. I don't like buying things twice.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• I had a stoker and returned it for a CyberQ. I spent hours trying to get my stoker working. I read many forums and found out the stoker is picky and only likes certain access points. I was able to get it up but on an ancient access point in a completely stand alone method. In this configuration I couldn't use any of the advanced features. I sent it back, bought a cyberq and it took me all of five minutes to get it on line.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    No issues here from either of my Stokers. Plug and play.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat