Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tools/tricks for removing hot platesetter?

Greetings-

Have had my egg for about 4 months and have done direct and indirect cooks(some more successful than others), now I am ready to attempt combo cooks. Any suggestions or leads on reasonably priced tools for lifting out the hot platesetter to minimize chance of dropping or bodily harm would be appreciated. Happy Holidays and thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Chris
Chris
St. Louis, MO
LBGE + cedar table
·

Comments

• I just use a cloth oven mitt.  It takes about 5 seconds before I can feel the heat, but by then it's safely out of the way.
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,744
    I prefer Orka brand mitts, but whatever high heat mitts you choose the secret is to know in advance just where you can safely put it down in a hurry!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,439
    I use a pair of heavy leather work gloves from Home Depot.  +1 with @RRP.   Know where you are going  to set it, and work quickly.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • Leather work gloves, I toss it on the slate in table. Would use a few bricks to set it on for an air gap and let it cool though.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,501
    I used to be skeptical of this, until I tried it last week when I attended their demo day. What's also neat is you can use the long handle to hang it from the side shelf. No, I didn't buy it because I already have several pairs of good mittens and I've learned how to quickly pick up a hot platesetter and rest it on a pre-determined landing spot.
    canuckland
    ·
  • I used to be skeptical of this, until I tried it last week when I attended their demo day. What's also neat is you can use the long handle to hang it from the side shelf. No, I didn't buy it because I already have several pairs of good mittens and I've learned how to quickly pick up a hot platesetter and rest it on a pre-determined landing spot.
    I have one and I love it when reverse searing steak.  I have an XL and have burned myself pretty good before I got the plate setter lifter.  Using Channel Locks pliers is a little unwieldy for such a large heavy ceramic piece.  I'm not affiliated with Dickson's,  but I recommend their gadget. 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • bo_mullbo_mull Posts: 303
    I have my platesetter in a Woo2. I just use welding gloves and pick it up by the handles.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

·
  • I use welding gloves and know where I'm setting it down. You have to move quickly as the gloves will conduct the heat to your fingers quicker than you'd think.
    LBGE, 
    Redneck Country Club
    Columbia Lakes
    West Columbia, Tx
    ·
  • Channel locks and ash tool, Easy lift and so far haven't dropped it....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I just use regular oven mitts. Of course I had to buy the wife a new set when I got hers all black from the egg.

The upside is now I have my own pair.
    Nowhere Indiana
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,049
    Remember it not that hard to get it out. It's what you do with it after you get it out. Just another reason to own that second Egg. image
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Speed is the key
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • +2 on leather work gloves from the orange big box home place. A paver stone on my Egg table is sufficient to put the hot and sometimes messy plate setter.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,966
    C-clamp, $8, Harbor Freight:

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,501
    Mickey said:
    Remember it not that hard to get it out. It's what you do with it after you get it out. Just another reason to own that second Egg.
    I wondered about that too ... at Dickson they demo'd how you can use the handle to hang the platesetter from the side shelf. When you're done with adding wood or whatever, you can grab the handle and drop it right back.
    canuckland
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,150
    I use "my mitts" in some thick welding gloves.  I then place it on a flat stone removed from my wooden deck until it cools.

Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,515
    I have the Grate Rack to hold the hot plate setter.  My Egg dealer Gusti Restaurant Supply has them in stock.
    http://innovationsbychance.com/grate-rack-lights.html
    http://www.gustirestaurantequipment.com/

I use silicon mitts to take it out.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • I use a pair of welding gloves that I bought @Home Depot 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • +1 on WOO2. Also raises the grate to felt line. Platesetter sits inside it and has handles to lift the whole thing out. Love it! 
    Chris
    Falls Church, VA
    Large & Mini
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,298
    PSWoo makes easy removal and no messing with the food or grid.   Plus, it provides a direct grid set up at the felt line.  t

image  image
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    edited December 2013
    Mickey said:
    Remember it not that hard to get it out. It's what you do with it after you get it out. Just another reason to own that second Egg. image

+1 on you need to know where you are going to put it. I place it on a galvanized pail along side the Egg. Takes 2 to 3 seconds. Just be sure to keep the kiddies, and your legs, clear.
  • Thanks for all the information, I appreciate all the advice and pictures!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    LBGE + cedar table
    ·
  • mrdnksmrdnks Posts: 67
    Get the pswoo http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ps-woo/pswoo-big-green-egg.html
    you will not regret the convenience, The platesetter fits in legs up or down, you can remove the whole thing with the food on top if you need to.
    ·
  • NsdexterNsdexter Posts: 135
    Who made the one out of rebar?
    HFX NS
    ·