Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deal of a lifetime!!!

Options

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If I had a choice it would definitely be a Royal Oak.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

WOW, so many whiney lil bi*ches today! It wasnt my fault the price was marked what it was. It wasnt my fault that I have an Egg that craves Lump. What this boils down too is that someone, (ME) got a sweet deal, while all you whiners are still going to pay $15-$20 a bag for Lump. Get over yourselves already. NO ONE took advanatage of any situation. I simply saw an item I need and bought it.. Simple as that! Who in their right mind would buy 1 or 2 bags with a deal like this? I see all the time on here people buying several bags of Lump when its on sale at what you think is a good price. They buy meats in bulk when they think they have a good price! People are always mentioning going to Costco and what a sweet deal that they got on Brisket or Boston Butts. And EVERYONE is posting, Ill be enroute tomorrow to get mine blah blah blah. So i guess thats ok huh? But for me to buy 17 bags of lump at under $4.00 a bag because it was priced wrong is the devil?

I still dont know how "Im bragging about screwing someone over for a mistake??"

Congrats on the lump. Really love how people are so happy to screw people over as quickly as possible. If I was in your position I would have taken 1 or 2 bags at the mismarked price but to buy them out is wrong and you know that. If you don't I hope you have never made any mistakes in your life at all, have a perfect job, the perfect significant other, have perfect children who get straight A's. 

I know I'm going to get flack for this but to me bragging about screwing someone over for a mistake isn't right and it only happens in the big box retailer industry.  If you went to buy a car or a house and someone had mismarked something they would tell you to go to hell. 

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    You aren't the devil but you are narcissistic, IMO.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I think my $40 small egg was the deal of a lifetime. Keep trying grasshopper  :-)
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I think my $40 small egg was the deal of a lifetime. Keep trying grasshopper  :-)

You shouldnt have posted that! Now everyone is going to tell you what a sleeze you are for paying that little for it knowing what its true value is LOL
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    There have been many many discussions on this forum about which Lump is the best which is the worst blah blah blah. I've been buying cowboy lump for about 10 months now and never had any issues with it. I can cook with it for 14 hours overnight with no issues or I can sear a steak at 700°
    I totally agree with what you have to say, some lump sparks some smokes, all in all at the end of the day if my food tastes to what I like then I'm going with it.

I have 5 different bags of lump in ,y car hold right now and they All do the job just fine. 

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you know something is wrong, it's wrong. Its all about what you knew, and when you knew it.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I'm sure you could return it if your conscience starts getting the best of you
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @EggHeadinFloida I'm not trying to be a whiner, but what you did was wrong and you know it.  If someone is selling something for X price and they don't know what they are selling it is on them. But you knew you were screwing the store over and enjoyed it. It's the reason that WalMart is successful because they know they can screw people and whoever they employ. . I don't know what you do for a living but I'm sure if you screwed up and someone cost you 60% profit your boss would be pissed. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2013
    Options
    As a business owner, your attitude disgusts me.  Hope someone takes you to the cleaner for a mistake someday soon.  It'll help you get some perspective.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • stevesails
    Options

@EggHeadinFloida I'm not trying to be a whiner, but what you did was wrong and you know it.  If someone is selling something for X price and they don't know what they are selling it is on them. But you knew you were screwing the store over and enjoyed it. It's the reason that WalMart is successful because they know they can screw people and whoever they employ. . I don't know what you do for a living but I'm sure if you screwed up and someone cost you 60% profit your boss would be pissed. 

+1
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just saying:

$5 a bag and better than that cowboy ****! Not to mention, got to have a great dinner with my "delivery guy".

Peace out bitches!! :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Loosemoose
    Loosemoose Posts: 295
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I think Hap pretty well summed it all up here.
    hapster said:

Holy sh*t, what a crapstorm this thread has turned out to be. I consider myself a fairly decent consumer. If a cashier gives me back too much change, I'll always let them know, I don't steal, and I love to support Mom and Pop's. But this was a big box corporate store, it was mislabeled, they were obligated to that price, he bought all that he could at the mislabeled price and maybe dropped the overall monthly profit of the store 1/20 of 1 percent. Pretty sure the guys in the kitchen center who screw up design orders cost the store WAY more than a few bags of lump. If it was a small business, I agree, I would have limited myself to one or two bags.

Just saying its a dog eat dog world and subby happened to come out on top this time.

Kudos

Hold on, I have to set up my box...

Wrong is wrong... no matter the size of the store you're standing in.

The company I work for is a family / employee owned company, basically started as a Mom & Pop farm and then one store. We now have over 600 locations and this year will have around 13B in revenue. Treating our customers at each location like it's still the first store, and our customers treating us the same, has allowed us to go from starting out to where we are today.

Just because you're "fair" or "nice" to the little Mom & Pop on the corner, doesn't make up for any BS you're willing to do because the big box or chain isn't a Mom & Pop. That big box or chain made a commitment to your community as well, bringing jobs, tax revenue, etc to the area. The people that work there are just as local as the one's owning and working at the Mom & Pops.

You can't justify calling yourself a "decent consumer" because you just look out for and do right by the Mom & Pops...

That's like saying, "I'm an animal lover. I love kittens & puppies... I only kick old dogs & cats"

Okay I'm done...

Off of box.

Carry on
    hapster said:

Holy sh*t, what a crapstorm this thread has turned out to be. I consider myself a fairly decent consumer. If a cashier gives me back too much change, I'll always let them know, I don't steal, and I love to support Mom and Pop's. But this was a big box corporate store, it was mislabeled, they were obligated to that price, he bought all that he could at the mislabeled price and maybe dropped the overall monthly profit of the store 1/20 of 1 percent. Pretty sure the guys in the kitchen center who screw up design orders cost the store WAY more than a few bags of lump. If it was a small business, I agree, I would have limited myself to one or two bags.

Just saying its a dog eat dog world and subby happened to come out on top this time.

Kudos

Hold on, I have to set up my box...

Wrong is wrong... no matter the size of the store you're standing in.

The company I work for is a family / employee owned company, basically started as a Mom & Pop farm and then one store. We now have over 600 locations and this year will have around 13B in revenue. Treating our customers at each location like it's still the first store, and our customers treating us the same, has allowed us to go from starting out to where we are today.

Just because you're "fair" or "nice" to the little Mom & Pop on the corner, doesn't make up for any BS you're willing to do because the big box or chain isn't a Mom & Pop. That big box or chain made a commitment to your community as well, bringing jobs, tax revenue, etc to the area. The people that work there are just as local as the one's owning and working at the Mom & Pops.

You can't justify calling yourself a "decent consumer" because you just look out for and do right by the Mom & Pops...

That's like saying, "I'm an animal lover. I love kittens & puppies... I only kick old dogs & cats"

Okay I'm done...

Off of box.

Carry on

YUP!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Loosemoose
    Loosemoose Posts: 295
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Damn iPhone…carry on sorry.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    LOL LOL LOL
    cazzy said:
    Just saying: image $5 a bag and better than that cowboy ****! Not to mention, got to have a great dinner with my "delivery guy". Peace out bitches!! :D

cazzy said:
    Just saying: image $5 a bag and better than that cowboy ****! Not to mention, got to have a great dinner with my "delivery guy". Peace out bitches!! :D

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    when your reasoning starts out as "Who wouldn't  do that..."  you know you already lost.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    This is much to do about nothing.  I don't see a problem w what my fellow Floridian did.  But, I too am not a big fan of Cowboy Lump
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

WOW, so many whiney lil bi*ches today! It wasnt my fault the price was marked what it was. It wasnt my fault that I have an Egg that craves Lump. What this boils down too is that someone, (ME) got a sweet deal, while all you whiners are still going to pay $15-$20 a bag for Lump. Get over yourselves already. NO ONE took advanatage of any situation. I simply saw an item I need and bought it.. Simple as that! Who in their right mind would buy 1 or 2 bags with a deal like this? I see all the time on here people buying several bags of Lump when its on sale at what you think is a good price. They buy meats in bulk when they think they have a good price! People are always mentioning going to Costco and what a sweet deal that they got on Brisket or Boston Butts. And EVERYONE is posting, Ill be enroute tomorrow to get mine blah blah blah. So i guess thats ok huh? But for me to buy 17 bags of lump at under $4.00 a bag because it was priced wrong is the devil?

I still dont know how "Im bragging about screwing someone over for a mistake?"

I dunno...Possibly naming the title of your thread  "Deal of a lifetime" that was built on someone's mistake could be considered bragging by some.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It's been getting kinda boring around here with all the recipes, pictures of food, and what not.  It's about time someone stirred things up and made it interesting. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    WWJD.  Merry Christmas Everyone.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I guess I'm a scumbag cause I would have bought them all. If anything I think the department manager should have been talked to for giving the customer grief. This is not the customers issue and should not have been made his issue. I had something similar happen at Lowe's where I saw a 3 pack of 12' miter blades with 2 80 tooth and a normal chop blade for $39.99 when 1 80 tooth blade is $50 normally so I grabbed one even though I didn't need it yet. It priced at like $79 when I went to check out and the manager was called and he honored it and went and changed the price sign. If I could have used all of them I would have bought them all and not felt bad about it. Its their fault for hiring $8 an hour employees. I have never seen anything mispriced at Costco because they pay well to get competent employees.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You made quite the Faustian Bargain, Dorian Gray.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    XLBalco said:

when your reasoning starts out as "Who wouldn't  do that..."  you know you already lost.

Well said. Ethics are ethics. It doesn't matter who takes the hit, how big their pockets are or how much you stole. Stealing a penny from bill gates is still stealing. I believe deep down you feel bad about your transaction at lowes and at least in some degree you are hoping to come here and confess and hope others here have ethics (or lack there of) like yourself. Did you tell your mother this same story? Ok now I'm done. Carry on :)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I would have done the same thing as well.  Often times you are a victim of price gouging, so I bet the store would do the same thing if they had an angle at you.  You win some and you lose some.  

I am in sales and represent a group of MFG suppliers . . . you better believe that if I MISQUOTE then I LOSE.  Mistakes have consequences and hopefully it is just a lesson the store can use to better train the employees for next time.   
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    It is their policy that they choose to adhere to. I probably wouldn't have cleared them out myself but it's a benefit of shopping there, they promise to honor a price if it's mismarked. I'm sure they budget in for these mistakes.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    yzzi said:

It is their policy that they choose to adhere to. I probably wouldn't have cleared them out myself but it's a benefit of shopping there, they promise to honor a price if it's mismarked. I'm sure they budget in for these mistakes.

That's the law in my state. No promises needed.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    thetrim said:

This is much to do about nothing.  I don't see a problem w what my fellow Floridian did.  But, I too am not a big fan of Cowboy Lump

He he he!