Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken Advice?

Options
I am going to be cooking a couple chickens this weekend, need a break from pork and beef. 
I have done these several times on my stick burner but with temps in the teens, going to do the Large BGE instead. 

My questions. 
For a family of 4, 1 large or 2 small chickens?
Direct or Indirect?
Brine, or no brine?

I know any of these will work, but for a nice crispy tasty skin, which is your preferred method?

Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Smaller chickens are preferred in my opinion. I'd say no bigger then 4 pounds. Raised direct if you have that available to you. Brine or no brine is a personal preference. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Prolly around a 5-6lber, raised direct @ 400-425 like Scott said if available if not go indirect at same temps. If you like crispy skin let the bird dry in the fridge for 6-8hrs if no time no big deal. I like to loosen the skin and season directly on meat and another layer on the skin.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I have had the best luck getting crispy skin by giving the egg plenty of time to get up to cooking temp prior to putting the birds on - I try to give it a good half hour at 425 so there's plenty of heat in the ceramic. Then put the birds on as high in the dome as possible. I use the Adjustable Rig and the extender to get the birds as close to the top of the dome as I can. I have cooked most of my spatchers indirect at 400-425. Made one the other night and went 400 raised direct because I was in a time crunch and it turned out excellent but the skin wasn't crispy. I didn't have time to air dry that one in the fridge though.

I like to air dry the spatched bird uncovered in the fridge for 24hrs (as many will recommend on here). I have used corn starch too but that seems to be tricky. For me, sometimes the corn starch makes the skin really tough. Maybe I put too much on or something.

If it were me, I would do a couple of smaller birds and hope for leftovers. If you're feeding four adults, there likely won't be anything left cuz it's just so damn good!

Oh - and no brining for me. Never had a need for more juice in a spatchcock.

By the way, everything I've learned about spatchcock chicken I've learned from the forum and trial and error. Good luck - let us know how it turns out.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. image Note this was bbq'ed with sauce added the last 15 mins.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    gonna do this tomorrow.  spatching the birds right now and rubbing down and then off to the fridge.  they will go on tomorrow afternoon.
  • Looper
    Looper Posts: 44
    Options

2 small chickens

Brine

Indirect

• morgaj1
    Options
    We have a family of four and I always do 2 birds at once.  The next day, I debone the leftovers and make chicken salad.  These leftovers make the best chicken salad!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I'd say 2 chickens, indirect, and no brine.
    Dave - Austin, TX