Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boneless pork shoulder -HELP

Options
Bought a 10 pound boneless pork shoulder from Costco. Any advice on how long to smoke and at what temp?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Cook to 195-200, when a probe moves through the meat without resistance. You can cook 250-275 for a "low and slow" that could take around 1.5 hours per pound. You can "turbo" it at 350 which will take about half the time. Maybe 5-7 hours.
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I cooked till internal temp is 185-190 and then remove from the egg, wrap in foil and let settle/rest for 30 minutes. I cook at 250 for 1 hour to 1.5 hours per pound, the last one I did took 20 hours so I could make pulled pork.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Out here our Costco packs the boneless pork butts 2 to a package. Check to see if you have 2 pieces and then you would base your cook time on the weight of one of them. Still cook to temp., but the time would be an estimate of when they may be done.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • wcugrad
    Options
    As already mentioned here, the "estimate" is roughly 1.5 hours per pound.  But you should always check the internal temp to be sure.  If I am in a hurry, I have cooked at 225 - 240 degrees to take the butt up to an internal temp of around 175, wrapped in foil, then cooked at a higher temp (upwards of 350) for another two hours or so.  I have found that wrapping in the foil helps keep the outside of the butt from burning up, but allows for the meat to cook through faster.  But if I have the time, I'd prefer to keep the temp down at 240 or less for the entire cook.  I still wrap in foil to finish the last part of the cook regardless.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Lately I cook turbo at 350 and pull at 200. I do not foil during the cook, though I have when time is short. Leave time for FTC (foil-towel-cooler), 2 to 4 hours is no problem. Shred/pull just before serving
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • PhillyBoy23
    Options
    Thanks. Rushed this one a bit but will try another one low and slow.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    No need to cook pork butts low and slow.  You won't notice any difference if you cook them at 275 to 300 degrees.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• daffy1909
    Options
    So if you cook at 300 your lookin at an hour per pound? 8-} looking at doing over the holidays!