Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ATTN: Garlic Lovers

This was recently sent to me about how to peel whole garlic.

http://www.wimp.com/bestgarlic/

Richard Melbooooring Fl.

Comments

• Magic !
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Awesome, can't wait to try it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Great tip! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Do you know what you've done!!??   This may cause a garlic shortage if this information gets out!
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I ALMOST bought this,

Garlic Peeler

but found pre-peeled bags for only a little more.

Screw both of those. Martha, you're an insider trader with a heart of gold!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I came across that Martha Stewart video some time ago and it has yet to work for me. It does loosen up the skin a little and make it easier to peel, but I've never had the skin come completely off (or even start to peel off) from the garlic cloves. It does make peeling the cloves slightly easier though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    caliking said:
    I came across that Martha Stewart video some time ago and it has yet to work for me. It does loosen up the skin a little and make it easier to peel, but I've never had the skin come completely off (or even start to peel off) from the garlic cloves. It does make peeling the cloves slightly easier though.
    Wuss. You need one of these:

• And I thought this was a family friendly site.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• caliking

They must be related...

http://youtu.be/Vf8OBbUtcgo

• I ALMOST bought this,

Garlic Peeler

but found pre-peeled bags for only a little more.

Screw both of those. Martha, you're an insider trader with a heart of gold!
    "Celsior - SWMBO won one of those at a PC party, it works to beat hell on two or three cloves, use it all the time. Not sure I'd buy it but for free, it is good to go. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    caliking said:
    +2

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812 said:
    caliking said:
    +2
    So does smashing the clove with the flat of your chef knife.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

As Troglodyte said: So does smashing the clove with the flat of your chef knife.

That has always worked for me.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bud812 said:

caliking said:

+2

So does smashing the clove with the flat of your chef knife.

The link didn't work for me but smashing it with the flat of your knife sure does.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • caliking
    The knife-smash is what I usually resort to as well. Maybe Martha has more upper body strength than I do. I haven't been to prison... yet :)

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    @caliking, did you pick up the finer details? Those two dishes are sold under her name and are the ONLY vessels that will work for this trick.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    what's so hard about WHACK!!!! with the flat side of a chef's knife?
  • caliking said:
    +3

Came across a similar video a while back and this didn't work at all for me. I used bigger bowls FWIW 

The best method I have found for large quantities of garlic is a decent garlic press. The cheap ones are junk.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

caliking said:

Wuss. You need one of these:

I thought this was a Hooters commercial.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Highly doubt that Martha's method works. Definetly some TV magic there!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    edited December 2013

Aviator said:
    @caliking, did you pick up the finer details? Those two dishes are sold under her name and are the ONLY vessels that will work for this trick.
    No wonder it didn't work for me... used inferior non-Martha Stewart bowls.

Trying again:

• This was recently sent to me about how to peel whole garlic.

http://www.wimp.com/bestgarlic/

Richard Melbooooring Fl.
    been doing this for years.  Works better if you use the heel of you hand to open the garlic head.  Prevents you from getting stinky, sticky fingers, and works like a charm.  I use a large and smaller bowl that fit together.  You have to shake the crap out of them, and sometimes remove some of the debris and shake again to get all the cloves.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• It isn't a trick, it really works.  Love showing my cooking friends, they are amazed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d3oc24fD-c

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggcelsior
    Good job Doc.

"Shaking the dickens out of it"

Very apt for the latter part of this thread.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Using the side of a knife works great for one or a few cloves, but for a whole head of garlic the bowl solution is better (as if you're making 40-clove chicken, or something).  

Now, this is kinda OT, but not by much.  Many of the TV "chefs" pulverize garlic by smashing it on their cutting board (fine) but then sprinkling it with salt and mashing it with the side/edge of their chef's knife!  THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ASININE!!!!  ~X( ~X(
    Most of us here carefully hone the edge of our fine knives with a steel, to align the edge; not much pressure is used.  Those of us who cook with a "salt block" know what salt really is, it's a damn rock.  And table salt is about the size of the aluminum oxide in 50-grit sandpaper!  WHY would you crush a vegetable with your fine knife edge against some 50-grit-sized Rocks?!?!?!?   Gah, that drives me crazy!  ~X(

I need to write a letter to the folks at America's Test Kitchen, to do a rigorous test to prove this.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

Great tip. I am making a mega batch of the Bob's secret spaghetti sauce and meatball recipe this weekend. I am going to give Doc's method a try. I hate peeling garlic.

Milton, GA.
  • Mickey said:

As Troglodyte said: So does smashing the clove with the flat of your chef knife.

That has always worked for me.

Agree that smashing with flat of knife works great if you want minced/crushed garlic. If you want sliced garlic, you need the whole clove, that's the value of the two bowls for a whole bud or the PC roller for two or three cloves. 
    The PC slicer makes unreal garlic and ginger slices. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Anyone roast whole heads of garlic on their egg? Wondering what the best set up would be for my new Christmas present. ....
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    cjham9985 said:
    Anyone roast whole heads of garlic on their egg? Wondering what the best set up would be for my new Christmas present. ....
    Slice the top off and place in foil.  wrap and place on hot egg 45 minutes or so around 300-350
    F.