Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOw to cook lamb chops?

Options
For some reason i catn seem to post.  It says my post must be approved?  Strange.

Anyway, how do you prepare lamb chops on the egg?

Comments

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options

original post...waiting approval.  I took out the link to my old thread but it was pretty funny.

Some of you may remember my post a month or so ago about my father in laws take on useage of the egg.  We all got a good laugh! 

Well, he is gone but my mother in law is back helping with the baby and she wants me to cook them this time.  I told him I would not be using his methods!  But now I don't know how I should cook them.  Any tips?  Ive never cooked them before.  She wants them pink on the inside but warm...temp?

Thanks.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    There are several good recipes in this old post.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Options
    Here's what I did last time, sorry no pictures:

Beautiful lamb chops from Costco, about 1 inch thick

Crushed fresh ginger root and garlic through a garlic press

Put in plate with olive oil, salt , pepper, and minced fresh mint leaves

Coated liberally onto lamb chops, then put it all in a ZipLoc bag in refrigerator for about two hours

Big BGE, direct, extended, at about 375-400

Cooked for 5 minutes then turned and cooked another ~15 minutes to internal temp of 130-135

Came out perfect, very juicy and perfect medium rare

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options

Marinate them in mint sauce from a store-bought jar - that's it - preferably in a vacuum-sealed bag. At least for a couple of hours and plop 'em straight on the grill - 5 minutes one side, 4 minutes on the other for rare - 7 and 6 for medium. I do the same thing for a roast leg and it's delicious.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Justacookin
    Options
    Was that the one with the picture of cinder blocks with the grate on top with the fil.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • busmania
    Options
    Was that the one with the picture of cinder blocks with the grate on top with the fil.

• busmania
    Options

god this site is so damn sensitive. not sure why it didn't post my reply.

Yes, that is the thread. everytime I try to link the thread, it tells me it has to be "approved".

• Little Steven
    Options
    busmania said:
    For some reason i catn seem to post.  It says my post must be approved?  Strange.

I like chops and racks hot tubbed in EVOO and garlic then seared on a screaming hot pan.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    zatar seasoning with salt, or a short marinade of balsamic, oil , lemon juice, garlic, salt, and rosemary. my preferenc for the chops is the tbone style center cut chop with the center bone. trex or hot tub and off the grill before 127
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • busmania
    Options
    Im not looking for recipes but rather methods. The mother in law has the seasoning taken care of....she doesn't want to try anything different. I do appreciate the recipes thougha nd will try them each in the future!

BTW, anyone else having trouble posting from internet explorer?  It keeps telling me "body required" so I have to log into chrome in order to make any posts.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    its pretty much the same as cooking a steak, same methods, same internals. if its thick i go with the trex method, if its thin i go with hot tub and hard sear. the center cut tbone style chop seems more forgiving to me and i would rather do leg of lamb cut up and skewered with rosemay stalks over a regular lamb chop, just dont cook past medium rare
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2013
    Options
    IE seems to be have an issue playing nice in this here sandbox.

Try this:

What you need to do while browsing this forum click the little gear icon in the upper right had corner and click "add"  eggheadforum.com under compatibility view settings. At least that is what worked for me.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    busmania said:

I like chops and racks hot tubbed in EVOO and garlic then seared on a screaming hot pan.

@Little Steven. What temp and for how long in the hot tub? And would you do a steak the same way? ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Little Steven
    Options

Granny, I usually use 100* to 110* water and generally go 40 minutes per inch of thickness. For chops I might go a little longer cause of the bone.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• busmania
    Options
    So are you saying you soak them in hot water and then put them on the egg?  Im confused (happens easily)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Sorry,  hot tub is a term used frequently around here. You either vac seal them or put them in foodsaver bags and put them in water that will raise the internal temp but not cook them. They don't require as much cooking time this way and you will get a similar effect to sous vide where your protein will be at the same level of doneness from side to side

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options

Granny, I usually use 100* to 110* water and generally go 40 minutes per inch of thickness. For chops I might go a little longer cause of the bone.

Steve

Thank you Steven. I'm sorry if I created confusion by using the term "hot tub" when i was talking about sous vide. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Granny, yes I do most of my steaks the same way. If I do thin ones always. I am not real keen on fully sous vided steak. I guess I could use the sous vide for the hot tub.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ringkingpin
    Options
    I tend to usually keep it simple to show off the lovely flavor of lamb.  Salt and oil on a HOT egg direct.  Individual chops don't take long to cook at all at those temps.  When they're browned up, put one on a plate or hold one with tongs, etc. and press a finger in to it.  If your fingers impression stays in the meat, it's still rare.  When it start to push back, take them off, put on a grate with a tinfoil tent over, and serve five or eight minutes later.  Yum!
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin