Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread on the Egg - pic heavy

Options
2»

Comments

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    there a no knead recipe that is designed for a dutch oven if you google those parameters.

Your bread looks awesome, so does the keg fridge what do you have in there that's not blue light?

HFX NS
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Steam helps create a better crust, does not impact rise (oven spring).  If baking in a Dutch Oven, you can put the dough in a cold DO directly into the hot oven or Egg.  I do my second rise in the DO on the counter, with no ill effects.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Excellent Post and follow up.  I think I need to get this book.
    @Griffin: Home made Pastrami?  I'm thinking the same thing but with my home made Corned Beef....
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Nice post!  Very nicely illustrated.

For the rise in the refrigerator...was the lid loosely fitted or snapped closed?
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Coletrain
    Options
    This looked so good I made some. First bread on the egg also. This is a great recipe. But my finished bread was kind of dense. I must have gone wrong somewhere. Followed the directions, weighed everything out. Guess I will have to make it again. image
  • waegger
    Options
    fit lid loosely in fridge so it can rise.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Nsdexter said:

Your bread looks awesome, so does the keg fridge what do you have in there that's not blue light?

Right now there are two kegs of home brew:  vanilla porter, and a honey/lemongrass Saison called Synchronicity (recipe from Northern Brewers).  Bottles include Bells Kalamazoo Stout, Southern Tier IPA, Ithaca Flower Power, Three Head's Kind IPA, and a home brewed Belgian ale I call "Dear Abbey".  Always something interesting in there!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Coletrain said:
    This looked so good I made some. First bread on the egg also. This is a great recipe. But my finished bread was kind of dense. I must have gone wrong somewhere. Followed the directions, weighed everything out. Guess I will have to make it again. 
    See earlier posts about measuring flour with a couple of links.  It looks like your bread rose high, though I agree it looks dense.  Did you bake three loaves at once" that could be an issue - I have never done that many.  Were all ingredients fresh?  Even Flour can get old.  check out the FAQ's on Artisanbreadinfive.com, you will find some ideas for sure.  You will find that every batch gets better though.  

Even the dense bread is good toasted!
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    The lid on the dough bucket is not a tight seal by design.  If you use something different, as @waegger said, do not snap it tight
    Rochester, NY
  • Nsdexter
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Nsdexter said:

Right now there are two kegs of home brew:  vanilla porter, and a honey/lemongrass Saison called Synchronicity (recipe from Northern Brewers).  Bottles include Bells Kalamazoo Stout, Southern Tier IPA, Ithaca Flower Power, Three Head's Kind IPA, and a home brewed Belgian ale I call "Dear Abbey".  Always something interesting in there!
    lemongrass saison sounds good. I just finished kegging up a nice RIS
    HFX NS
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    I love an RIS, but too heavy for me to keg - I would bottle that one, probably 10+% avb!
    Rochester, NY
  • Nsdexter
    Options
    It's going to sit in there till next xmas I'm hoping
    HFX NS
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    great thread.  gotta try this.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    Started making bread this way, absolutely love it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Reminds me a bit of Amish bread. Looks great! It's definitely tasty whether baked in the BGE or the home oven. Nice chronological post. Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I'd like to try it @Griffin‌... Looks delicious. It doesn't taste smoked I hope?
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I just received "Flour Water Salt Yeast" from Amazon (wife ordered for me)...gonna try some this weekend...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    anzyegg said:
    I'd like to try it @Griffin‌... Looks delicious. It doesn't taste smoked I hope?
    No idea. never got around to doing any on the Egg and I've quit eating/making bread due to carbs and diabetes. Damn...now I want bread. Thanks a lot.
    ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice bread. I've gone crazy with sourdough loaves lately but all in the oven. Its just too much work and lump to egg it.
    I'm on a roll , I have cooked all our bread the last 3 months or so.
    2/ 2 lb loaves per week on avg.
    Seattle, WA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Looks great!

...but that egg is too big or that loaf is too small.  You need to cook 12 loaves next time!  :D
    LBGE/Maryland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Thank You!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian