Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Polar Bear Cooler?

Options

Looking of an outstanding soft side cooler (non-leak). Any info from you guys on Polar Bear Coolers 24 or 12 size?

Is there something better out there?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Dammit Mick! Polar Bears are endangered. Just not right to make coolers out of them. They are pretty good low and slow though. Taste a bit like seal. :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cspearce2
    Options
    They are awesome. Took one to Aruba. Outside in the sun all day filled with beer and ice. Even the next morning there was still ice.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I think I'll order the 24...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I had one until enjoying a few to many ice cold beverages one evening at a former "friends" house.  It was never returned and I have never been back.  It was a great cooler. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    Options
    Ah, those former friends.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If I buy another cooler before I leave one at a friends house I will be in trouble by her. I still want the 24 though.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    There is a 48 on amazon. Another options.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Me likey. SWMBO needs a new one for breastmilk that fits in her purse. The sixer looks like it will work.
  • henapple
    Options
    @Eggcelsior. ..tmi
  • henapple
    Options
    Oh yeah. No pics it didn't happen
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those look interesting.  I have never had a soft cooler that didn't end up leaking, but the reviews on these are all great.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    The backpack looks pretty sweet.  I must really like backpack coolers, I keep staring at this picture.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

The backpack looks pretty sweet.  I must really like backpack coolers, I keep staring at this picture.

I really like backpack coolers too.
  • Alphonse
    Options
    Use one on my kayak in the summer. They are the best. Keep in mind they are more compact than the stated capacity would lead you to believe.
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Any of you use the 48? Guessing that may be a little big for a rear seat cooler to travel with??
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

@Mickey, long time my friend. I have a few Polar bear soft coolers. The smallest is a little too small. It gets more narrow near the zipper so stocking as full as we all would like makes it hard to zip. Cant even get 12 in mine without ice. I would go bigger. I actually use my small one to hold butts when need to. Makes it handy to carry to a friends house with the shoulder strap.

Hope you are well my friend.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Mickey, usually they have them at Whole Earth on Lamar down street for Whole Wallet.  Probably seasonal item, but might have some in stock.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Options
    Chubbs said:

@Mickey, long time my friend. I have a few Polar bear soft coolers. The smallest is a little too small. It gets more narrow near the zipper so stocking as full as we all would like makes it hard to zip. Cant even get 12 in mine without ice. I would go bigger. I actually use my small one to hold butts when need to. Makes it handy to carry to a friends house with the shoulder strap.

Mr Chubbs I never liked you and have not missed your attempts at cooking one bit. Oh, I was thinking VI, sorry :-S ..... Where the hell have you been?

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Chubbs said:

Mr Chubbs I never liked you and have not missed your attempts at cooking one bit. Oh, I was thinking VI, sorry :-S ..... Where the hell have you been?
    Mickey, well regardless I have missed you. Everyone for that matter. Kind of in a different role at work and not at a desk as much. Throw in traveling and it has been difficult to log in. Should be back though.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Options
    Chubbs when you say small are you talking 6 or 12?

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options

I like the smile on the backpack cooler!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    That picture is really a Trompe L'Oeil.  I stared at the picture for 45 seconds before the cooler began to appear.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • dmarois
    Options
    Does anyone have any idea how many bottles fit in the backpack or 24 pack bag. I'm more of a bottle guy and I am worried about the amount that will fit.

• Mickey
    edited December 2013
    Options

That picture is really a Trompe L'Oeil.  I stared at the picture for 45 seconds before the cooler began to appear.
    Sorry but that pic is henapple in drag (his travel mode) without the bacon =))

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I don't know about the backpack coolers but I like the frontpack warmers!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• henapple
    Options
    What cooler?
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    dmarois said:
    Does anyone have any idea how many bottles fit in the backpack or 24 pack bag. I'm more of a bottle guy and I am worried about the amount that will fit.

FWIW I found this review on Amazon and the reviewer states he can get 26 comfortably in the 24 pack. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

I like the smile on the backpack cooler!
    This is the 34C Model!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• dmarois
    Options
    dmarois said:

FWIW I found this review on Amazon and the reviewer states he can get 26 comfortably in the 24 pack. 
    The title to his review and the first section make it all worth it haha
  • gabriegger
    Options
    The only soft sided cooler I ever use during the winter months is a snowbank.  Works wonders when the missus thinks I've had 4 too many when working 'round the house.  Only drawback is you can't travel with one but the biggest plus is there are lots to choose from when you get to where you're going - up thissa way anyhow.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini