Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almonds and Cheese

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Had to get something in the egg today. Some almonds and cheese with the A-MAZE-N-Smoker for smoke.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• DMW
    Tried the almonds today. Can't stop eating them. Recipe is in Charcuterie. Cold smoke for 2-3 hours then toss with oil, pepper, chili powder, cayenne, etc and roast on a pan in oven at 375* 10-15 min stirring every few minutes. This was my first time doing almonds, just picked up 6 lbs of raw almonds at Costco today. Smoked almonds and cheese will be our Christmas gifts this year to friends and family.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I love smoked almonds out of a can, can't even imagine how good they are out of an Egg!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Nice...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    That book is awesome!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• How do you do a cold smoke?
  • DMW
    @phantom21 I use the A-Maze-N-Pellet-Smoker from www.amazenproducts.com

Cen-Tex Smoker did a tutorial on how to use it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158809/a-maze-n-smoker-tutorial/

For $40 its well worth it IMHO.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Sounds like some good Christmas gifts to me! I always wanted to try smoking some almonds but my family goes through Costco size bags way too quickly for me to get my hands on.
    Dunedin, FL
  • DMW
    @yzzi When smoking almonds you want to start out with raw/unsalted almonds. Those don't go so quickly around here. Once smoked, seasoned and roasted, different story.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    DMW said:
    @yzzi When smoking almonds you want to start out with raw/unsalted almonds. Those don't go so quickly around here. Once smoked, seasoned and roasted, different story.
    My wife buys the raw unsalted and she and the kids take them down. I personally am not a big almond fan (especially raw), but they're good smoked or salt n vinegar.
    Dunedin, FL
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited December 2013
    Leave them sealed in a tupperware container for a week before you season them.
    They will be 100% better. Also I smoke mine for 5 hours. Almonds have a non porous skin on them so it is harder for them to take the smoke. Try 5 hours and letting them sit sealed up for a week. Trust me after doing them this way ,,thats the way you will do them from know on
     Also seal up that chesse for a min of 4 weeks in the frig
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • @DWM thanks, I wasn't sure if this was something you could do solely with the egg.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What type of wood?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    I think this was Pitmaster's Choice pellets, a hickory, cherry, maple blend. I also did some with Oak pellets.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• I tried smoking some almonds the other night.  Since then, I've read that soaking the almonds before smoking them helps with the smoke flavor.  My almonds did get some smoke, but not the amount I thought they would (they smoked for 4.5 hours).  Also, I tossed with olive oil and seasoned and then put in the oven for 15 minutes.  Taste pretty good, but the seasoning ended up falling off shortly after taking out of the oven.  Where did I go wrong?
  • DMW
    I used an old blade type coffee grinder to grind all the seasonings together into a fine powder, then mixed with the oil, then tossed the almonds with the mix. Roasted on a cookie sheet stirring every 5 minutes or so. Some of the seasonings came off, but most seemed to stick. They were eaten within less than 2 days.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    I soak raw almonds in cold water for 5-10 minutes before seasoning (toss with olive oil, hot sauce, salt & assorted Dizzy Pig) and throwing on the Egg.  I shoot for smoking @ 250* for 1 hour, then put the nuts into the oven at about 200 (convection roast) for a few hours to help them crisp up.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Thanks, both of those techniques seem like they should work well!