Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Style Italian Beef

Did this yesterday, turned out great. Indirect, dome@ 400', pulled @ 125 internal, foiled for 20 minutes, refrigerated for 1 hour.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    That looks great, what recipe did you use for Da Juice and Da Rub? 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Looks so good!  Merry Christmas.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited December 2013
    Yes!  Looks good.  I need the juice recipe as well, cause I want to make Beef on Weck sandwiches with some of the juice and horseradish on it.  Please share.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Looks good. 
    Over the years have found the rub can be almost anything as long as it is pepper, garlic onion powder and oregano based. I've settled on beef broth for the juice, it takes on the flavour of the rub. 

Best giardiniera recipe, substitute peperoncini if you can get them for the jalapenos. 

To make @Griffin happy, serve the sangwitch with tater tots.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

That is a fine smoke ring.

What's up with serving it cold? (1HR in Fridge)

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • 500 said:
    Yes!  Looks good.  I need the juice recipe as well, cause I want to make Beck on Weck sandwiches with some of the juice and horseradish on it.  Please share.
    Damn, I love beef on weck!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddy, that looks awesome! What cut of beef did you use for that?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Looks great, dam now I need to buy a slicer.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

500 said:
    Yes!  Looks good.  I need the juice recipe as well, cause I want to make Beck on Weck sandwiches with some of the juice and horseradish on it.  Please share.
    Yea, me too after going to Charlie the Butcher in Buffalo during our Niagara Falls trip.  Now that I have a slicer, I'm making some.  Need to find the right cut of beef though.
    Member since 2009
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I serve my tater tots witha side of tater tots.

Sammich looks good, mwsmoker. Did you have some au jus to go with it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

@BuckeyeBob, can't take credit for that one (although I have posted lots on Italian beef) this excellent looking sangwitch belongs to @miswestsmoker. I use inside or outside round, inside is first choice.
    @Hotch - chilling stops the cook, keeping the meat rare. easier to slice when cold. To serve, the juice is simmered and the thin sliced beef dipped into it to warm it, no more than a few seconds. Keeps it rare while reheating. Serve the dripping wet meat on an high gluten Italian roll, top with giardiniera. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin said:

Griff you don't need au jus, the dripping wet meat is dumped on the bun, it is a sloppy super tasty mess. On second thought, you might want some of the broth on the side to dip the tots.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

Looks like a great sandwich.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • 500 said:
    500 said:
    Yea, me too after going to Charlie the Butcher in Buffalo during our Niagara Falls trip.  Now that I have a slicer, I'm making some.  Need to find the right cut of beef though.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/BeefOnWeck.htm

Steve 

Caledon, ON

The last time I attempted the sandwich was before I had a slicer.  It was not the same.  I also didn't have the cook technique down.  Today I would slow roast it indirect, and then reverse sear it.  My concern still is though that the beef does not produce enough of the juice to dip the bun or meat into, so I needed to supplement it with a "made up" juice from another source.  I found THIS JUICE RECIPE and found it to work alright.

I like the idea of stopping the cooking of the beef with a rest in the chill chest.  I may try that.
    Member since 2009
  • Thanks everyone. I will respond to all the reply's when I get home, to hard on the phone.
  • Midwest, so sorry I typed the wrong name. You definitely get the credit.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • I want to thank everyone for being patient, hate it when I have to work. Da Juice : 4 beef bouillon cubes 6 cups water Or: 48 oz beef broth 1 can beef consommé And remaining Rub Rub: 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper 2 teaspoons garlic powder 1 teaspoon onion powder 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1 teaspoon dried basil 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • Hotch said:

That is a fine smoke ring.

What's up with serving it cold? (1HR in Fridge)

Hotch, refrigerating it makes it easier to slice especially if you don't have a slicer, it really needs to be cooled for 2+ hours but we couldn't wait that long

Buckeye Bob, we used bottom round for this one but top sirloin is preferred
  • Griffin said:

Griffin, we use the juice we heat the meat with. You can dip the bread in it or pour additional juice on it, personal preference
  • Midwest, so sorry I typed the wrong name. You definitely get the credit.

No problem
  • Looks great, dam now I need to buy a slicer.

It's nice to have but we don't use it as much as I would like
  • 500 said:
    500 said:

500, top sirloin is preferred then top round then bottom round. You can also use chuck but you deal with to much fat in the juice
  • Hope I answered everyone, thanks again. Now get out there and roast some beef
    Great information.  Thanks for the tips.  Sounds like you got this Pit Beef thing down.
    Member since 2009
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Looks awesome I love that stuff.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • 500 said:
    Great information.  Thanks for the tips.  Sounds like you got this Pit Beef thing down.

Thanks, first one on the egg but I spent some time around it when growing up.
  • texaswig said:
    Looks awesome I love that stuff.

Thanks, we actually made Philly Steak and Cheese with it last night and cheddar for lunch today. Goes a long way
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited December 2013
    My turn.  I got distracted and the roast went to 135, but it was still good and very tender.  The slicer was a blast to use, and now that I know what I'm doing, fairly quick to clean up.  

That jar has my homemade giardiniera, which I've never tried making before. Delicous, crunchy, but messy due to the oil base rather than a vinegar. I sense a lot of sammiches in my future. 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure