Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Nikon Photography Forum - OT

Can anyone recommend a forum with good info on Nikon DSLR's without a lot of fan boy BS?  I am nearing retirement and plan on pursuing this interesting hobby again. 
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• http://nikoncafe.com

http://www.dpreview.com/forums?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu  (there are several Nikon forums on this site, each tailored for different models.)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Thanks for the linkage.  I just signed up for the Nikon Cafe, based solely on the look and flow of the blog.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    DPR is great for all photography related info
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    DPR as stated, though you can still get some fanboy crap(just avoid "vs." threads).
  • I'm a Canon guy and really like the Flickr community boards.  There are boards for specific camera bodies (5D Mark II for me) and I'm also members of the boards for my lenses (24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8)  A wealth of information from people using the same equipment as you.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Best I have found has already been mentioned, So +1 on Dpreview.

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Dpreview is good and will have lots of great info.  Go to "fredmiranda.com" and see the forums there for many amazing photogs.  Not as gear oriented as dpreview is. More focused on actual picture taking.

Rich
    Long Island, NY
  • Sorry, I only belong to fanboy forums.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    My main forum is Nikon Cafe.  My second favorite, mainly for buying and selling gear is Fred Miranda.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Can anyone recommend a forum with good info on Nikon DSLR's without a lot of fan boy BS?  I am nearing retirement and plan on pursuing this interesting hobby again. 
    Do you currently have a DSLR?  Or just looking to find the one you like?  

My handle is the same at Nikon Cafe.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • +1 for Fred Miranda, lots of boards that are focused (get it?) on technique and composition. Another board for equipment info on Nikon or Canon is http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

Happy shooting!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Can anyone recommend a forum with good info on Nikon DSLR's without a lot of fan boy BS?  I am nearing retirement and plan on pursuing this interesting hobby again. 
    Do you currently have a DSLR?  Or just looking to find the one you like?  

My handle is the same at Nikon Cafe.  
    Pretty much settled on the D800/D800e, but could change my mind yet.  I was actually looking for good lens reviews to complement the other Nikkors that I already own and would work well with that camera series.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2013
    What are you going to be shooting? The D800 is more of a studio camera in my opinion. It will be fabulous for landscape photography too. I went away from the 800 and and went with the D600 instead and put the money saved into glass.

Go full frame if you can, but glass will always be more important and will out last any body you pick up.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Troglodyte
    Troglodyte Posts: 104
    edited December 2013
    Be aware that the 800E lacks the anti-alaising filter (on purpose) to give a sharper picture, but that could result in "jaggies" or moire effect in certain situations.
    Albuquerque, NM
  • I'm a member of www.nikonians.org and have been very pleased with the level of knowledge and willingness to help. It is a membership with annual dues, but with it to me.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • tarheelmatt
    I really like the D600.  I got it last year when they were introduced.  I also shoot the Nikon 70-200VRII.  It is amazing on this body or really any FF camera.  The 24-85 kit lens is actaully amazingly nice. 

Most of my work on my site was taken with the D600 and 24-85 and 70-200VRII

imageBelow was taken with the D600 and 24-85 lens. 

imageimage

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    I just picked up the D800. Great camera. I do portraits/weddings. Make sure you get large SD/CF cards-those files are huge! Using 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. Just ordered 50 1.8.
  • dihtn said:
    I just picked up the D800. Great camera. I do portraits/weddings. Make sure you get large SD/CF cards-those files are huge! Using 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. Just ordered 50 1.8.
    My D800 should be here today from B&H along with my Nikkor 20mm f2.8D lens.  I'm going all primes.  I already have a 50mm f1.4D.  I'll probably get an 85 or 105 when I recover.  I like the 105 but want to keep a small and light pack.

With 36mp, I should be able to crop and still have good quality, thus simulating a zoom with prime quality.  We'll see.
    Albuquerque, NM
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited December 2013
    First off folks this is going to be a hobby not a business venture.  I used to shoot Hasselblad years back so really like the detail that the high resolution can produce for big prints.  I will not do much fashion or architectural photos so am not overly concerned about moiré.  If I get a bit in some of my photos so be it, but usually you can tilt the camera just a bit and it will disappear.  No medium format digital cameras have anti alias filters and can be controlled in that regard.  Also many people are not aware of it, but Nikon's 7100 does not have A A filter either and you seldom hear of gripes about problems. If you stop most lenses down a bit the diffraction distortion that occurs will mask much of the moiré.  I tend to shoot a lot of local flora and not a lot of fauna so I seldom encounter repeating parallel patterns with birds being the exception.  My question about the forums was primarily to get lens relatedinformation, but with the notion of using these lenses on the D800 or D800e.  I am seriously considering the 80-400 AFS at present for birding however as I traded my 400 2.8 manual a long time ago when I bought the Hassie.  I think my old 105 manual focus macro with extension tubes will be doing most of my images.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Troglodyte
    Troglodyte Posts: 104
    edited December 2013
    @bettysnephew Sorry I mentioned the AA filter.  Your post seems to be antagonistic that I brought it up. I don't think you're looking for advice.  You're just showing off what a "pro" you are.  Show us your pictures, Ansel.
    Albuquerque, NM
  • tarheelmatt
    The new 80-400 has received a lot of great reviews at Nikon Cafe.

For birding you may want the 7100 for the crop factor. Personally I will never buy DX again after moving to full frame. The crop factor was not an issue for me. In fact the type shooting I do the full frame works to my advantage.

With or without an AA? Meh, whatever in my book. You can fix a lot of the issues it induces in post.

For a lens, you cannot go wrong with the 70-200 2.8 VR II. For the long end a 300mm f4 is still a work horse.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57
    Studied with William Mortensen for a number of years.  His philosophy..."Keep it simple" both in cameras, film and studio.  I still try to follow that principal.   Unless we are talking Big Green Egg and the various accessories....
    Aloha
    from the Sandwich Islands.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

The new 80-400 has received a lot of great reviews at Nikon Cafe.

For birding you may want the 7100 for the crop factor. Personally I will never buy DX again after moving to full frame. The crop factor was not an issue for me. In fact the type shooting I do the full frame works to my advantage.

With or without an AA? Meh, whatever in my book. You can fix a lot of the issues it induces in post.

For a lens, you cannot go wrong with the 70-200 2.8 VR II. For the long end a 300mm f4 is still a work horse.

Agree on the AA issue. Post processing makes it a snap without risk of detail loss due to the pre-sensor filter.
  • @bettysnephew Sorry I mentioned the AA filter.  Your post seems to be antagonistic that I brought it up. I don't think you're looking for advice.  You're just showing off what a "pro" you are.  Show us your pictures, Ansel.

Troglodyte:  I didn't mean to come off like that, it's just that I have pretty much made up my mind as to camera body series. I was looking for advice as to which lens(es) I might find to be good choices. That is why in my initial post I asked for good photo sites/forums to visit to satisfy my curiosity.  I have registered on several of the sites suggested and am gathering info from them.  The mention of my previous camera was trying to show why I wanted to go with the D800 series indicating what I was hoping for in a body.   I am certainly not a pro by any means, but have been lucky enough to capture a few passable images on film some years back when I was active.

BTW, your suggestions for forums were excellent, Thank You. I have obtained some very good info there while lurking.  

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • The lenses that I presently own are all full format so I was hoping to stay with that in the body.  Correct me if I am wrong regarding the DX format, but using the full format lenses on a DX body will just spill over beyond the actual sensor area, there is no actual magnification increase just a perspective change.  i.e. the smaller sensor makes it appear there is a longer focal length lens due to cropping effect, but the actual subject image recorded is the same size as it would be on a full format sensor.

Which post processing program are you folks using?

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • @bettysnephew Sorry I was so brusque in my post.  I misinterpreted. In a forum, you are posting to the community, not an individual, so facts and opinions are really directed towards the population, not the individual.  Others had mentioned the D800/E, so they may not have been aware of the differences.
    Albuquerque, NM
  • @Troglodyte These misunderstandings are a consequence of not being able to read inferences and body language through the monitor.  I work in a highly technical environment and it is often better when dealing with others in the same field to use a longer explanation in order to make sure we are seeing the same issues and solutions.   I too am sorry this escalated to the point it did, as always there is a vast amount of great expertise to draw from on this forum. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • tarheelmatt
    @bettysnephew - I use Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC.  I bit the bullet and upgraded to the cloud recently when they waived the key requirement for previous purchase of PS3 and up and was able to get that for $10 a month.  It sounds crazy to basically "rent" your post processing software but for those two alone it makes sense. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site