Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread on the Egg - pic heavy

Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum

I decided to document a bread cook on the Egg.  Started with the dough last night.  32 oz flour, 24 oz water, 1-1/2 Tbsp yeast( 2 packets worth), 1-1/2 Tbsp kosher salt.  This recipe and general method comes from the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day".  I recommend it if you are interested in baking bread.

Flour measured directly into dough bucket, 2 lbs 1/2 oz.  Kosher salt was added and whisked into flour.

Here's the yeast all hydrated and ready to go to work.  Water is on the warm side - about 105 deg.   I dump the water/yeast mix directly into the bucket, and mix with a wooden spoon until it is fully incorporated.  It is a kind of shaggy looking dough, but that's OK

Here is the dough all mixed and ready to rise.  I will give it about 2 hours. 

The dough has fully risen now and will spend the night, and some of it the next week, in the fridge.  Plenty of beer in here keeping the temps constant.  This no knead dough is fairly wet, so is much easier to work with when it is cold.  In addition as the dough ages in the fridge, the yeasties continue fermentation of starches etc and develop much more flavor (or so I am told).  Dough can stay for 2 weeks.

Now it is time to bake.  At this point you are 1 hour and 15 minutes from taking your baked loaf from the egg or oven.

I flour the surface of the dough with a dredge, flour my hand, and pull out a big hunk which I cut off with a serrated knife.  I work it with my hands, pulling the top around and folding into the bottom, turning and making it into a ball with a kind of a gluten "skin".  Then, shape into a loaf  or whatever (I prefer the football shaped loaf) and put it to rest on a sheet of parchment which I dust with corn meal.  I let it rest for about 45 minutes (after 45 it is ready to bake).  Immediately before baking I dust the top with flour and make some diagonal cuts which lets the dough expand when it cooks.
Going back a step though, as soon as you have shaped the loaf, it is time to light the egg (which has already been prepped).  Plate setter, followed by the grid on top of which is a pan for water, then the baking stone raised above about 4" (I use flour pots as I do not have an AR).  It will take most of the 45 minutes to get everything up to 450 deg which is where you want to be with all purpose flour.
When the temp is stabilized, carefully dump a cup of hot water in the steam pan (this can be tricky, I lift the stone with a gloved hand), slide the parchment/loaf onto the stone, close the lid, and set the timer for 30 minutes.  20 minutes in you can pull the parchment if you like, but it is not necessary.  Keep an eye on the temp.
I have been told that if you can wait two hours to cut into a loaf, it is at it's best.  Good luck with that.  This one made it an hour while i put this post together.

The great thing about this recipe, is you mix it once which takes about 5 minutes, then leave it in the fridge until about 2 hours before you want fresh bread to eat.  Cook it in the oven or on the egg, but you can have fresh bread 3 or 4 times in a week with one dough batch.  It is however possible to get so used to making and eating fresh baked bread, that you eat a lot and gain weight.  Don't ask me how I know.
Last comment, I experimented tonight and went without the plate setter, which you may notice in the pics.  Better to use it, by the end of the cook, the stone was over 500 and crust bottom was overdone to my taste.  PS always in the future.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• nothing like bread on the egg. beautiful looking bread. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice! Great job documenting it step by step.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Holy balls does that look good!
    Marking this recipe down...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Bookmark!

Bookmark!

Bookmark!

Gotta try this.....................................

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    @Cookinbob - thanks for posting this.  Very cool to see it work from start to finish.  Can you confirm you make this with AP flour?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    All these bread threads have inspired me to try my hand at baking this weekend. Thanks for the idiot-proof instructions!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I've made that bread before.just not on the egg. IMHO it's hard to beat. It also builds flavor the longer you keep it.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • No knead method is great for those who like crusty bread. I baked mine in a dutch oven and it has turned out perfectly every single time. It's that easy and delicious!
    kelly@thehungryegghead.com
  • Great looking bread! Simple recipe too.
    Thanks for the step by step post.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Cookinbob
    BigWader said:
    @Cookinbob - thanks for posting this.  Very cool to see it work from start to finish.  Can you confirm you make this with AP flour?
    Yes, I use Wegmans (local grocery) unbleached all purpose flour.  Have also used King Arthur AP flour, no difference for me.  Bread flour will work fine, though I have never tried it. Supposedly the higher protein (gluten) results in a little stiffer and higher loaf.  Also depending on your altitude, humidity, etc, you may find increasing or decreasing the flour amount by a couple of ounces gives a result you like better.  
    Rochester, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Thanks for the walk through. Should be pretty easy to follow. Can't wait to try it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I've bookmarked this, been wanting to try my hand at making bread and these instructions are easy to follow. Great job documenting and great looking bread! Thanks
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Looks great and thanks for the detailed write up.  Another entry on the list of future cooks.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Thanks for posting this, and the great directions. I was impressed when I saw it last week, so I bought the Book and Containers on Amazon. They arrived on Friday, I made the dough on Saturday AM, and cooked a couple loaves yesterday on the EGG. Unbelievable!

It was gone in no time, and had rave reviews by all.

Again, Thanks!

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    I second the Dutch oven. Do everything the same, just heat the Dutch oven on the egg. No need for any water, the evaporation takes care of that. Once the DO is hot, remove the lid (carefully), pick up the dough using the parchment paper and drop it in the hot pot. Put on the lid and leave it 1/2 hr. remove the lid and let it bake until you like the color, longer will give you a mahogany colored crust. Keep the egg at about 400 degrees! You won't believe how good it is!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Griffin

Thanks @Cookinbob . Followed your directions to a T last night 'cept I made it in the oven and it came out awesome. Best part of our meal last night. Even Mrs. G liked it and she really doesn't care much or eat much bread. Can't wait to try the next batch on the Egg. Thanks again for sharing it, the detailed instructions and the pictures.

Rowlett, Texas

• That looks so tasty. Love fresh bread. Thanks for the pictorial recipe. Bookmarked
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Great job on the bread! Looks nice and crusty & tasty :)
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Great job!  I used their method for pizza dough and it came out beautifully. 

BTW, I noticed your coffee cup with the GE meatball.  Do you work for GE? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Bookmarked as well, I think even I can handle that. Nice job!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Griffin

Made somre more last night. This stuff is addictive.

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    The crust looks really good, Grif. I've made no-knead bread a few times in the past several weeks and there's nothing to beat it for simplicity. Have not made any on the egg yet though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Have anyone tried to bake multiple loaves on BGE?  A tiered racks?  I've done 3 one baking stone.  Wonder if we can do another?
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Cookinbob
    @Griffin, it looks like you nailed it.  The loaf looks perfect, and yes it is addictive.  I made a batch almost every week last year, had to take a break because I gained 20 lbs.  Bread with dinner, toasted for breakfast, and bake another loaf.  I am itching to start up again, probably next week as this one is kind of crazy.

By the way, if you add a little flour to your mix (maybe 1/4 cup) you will get a little stiffer dough and maybe a higher rise, though taste is the same.
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob

BTW, I noticed your coffee cup with the GE meatball.  Do you work for GE? 
    Not on their payroll, but I am a channel partner/distributor for a product line within GE Measurement and Control
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    dfrelich said:
    Have anyone tried to bake multiple loaves on BGE?  A tiered racks?  I've done 3 one baking stone.  Wonder if we can do another?
    I would probably not try a tiered rack, the baking would be uneven for sure, and you would need to keep checking both levels, which would be bad for the process.  I could easily get 4 on my XL stone, you might get 4 into a large if they aren't too large
    Rochester, NY
  • Griffin
    Cookinbob said:
    @Griffin, it looks like you nailed it.  The loaf looks perfect, and yes it is addictive.  I made a batch almost every week last year, had to take a break because I gained 20 lbs.  Bread with dinner, toasted for breakfast, and bake another loaf.  I am itching to start up again, probably next week as this one is kind of crazy.

By the way, if you add a little flour to your mix (maybe 1/4 cup) you will get a little stiffer dough and maybe a higher rise, though taste is the same.

Thanks for the tip, Bob. I'm no expert at baking bread that's for sure. I did notice this batch was a bit wetter which kind of surprised me considering I weigh everything out and did it exactly the same. The only thing I can figure out is that it was really cold outside that day (below 32) and the house was around 68-70 with the heater on and the first time I made it, it was above 70 outside with the AC on.

I think the other problem I ran into was I've been putting a small cast iron skillet on the bottom rack of the oven to heat up with the pizza stone to use as my steam source. This time I forgot and think it only got a 10 minute warm up. There was some steam when I poured water in, but nothing like the quick flash of steam I have been getting previously.

I had planned on adding a bit more flour to what is still in my dough bucket since it was so wet. You think that is a good idea?

Rowlett, Texas

• try that dough for pizza, it is very good and easy to work with. i have had the book for about a year now and have made lots of bread and pizzas perfect every time.

• Cookinbob
    I don't think the steam had any effect on the rise.  If the dough is wet, you will get a flatter loaf.  That is not necessarily bad, but a higher loaf looks nice

No problem working a bit more flour into the dough at this point.  I would just work it in with my hands as I shape the loaf.  You could also make a focaccia with the wetter dough.  Flatten it out, coat with some olive oil, garlic, herbs, sea salt, or whatever sounds good to you.  Rest for 20 minutes, and bake for 25 @ 425.  Just don't do it unless you are hungry because you will eat it all shortly after it comes out of the oven :)

When it comes to measuring the ingredients, I actually have better success using the measuring cup than weight - have never weighed what I measure though.  Here is a link to a video on the measuring technique - I have best success when I measure this way.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP6iLaPniYE  
    There is also a lot of info on the web including videos at  http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

Lastly, you ought to pick up the book, "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". I can tell, you are getting in to it!

Rochester, NY
  • Griffin
    I did finally get the book the other week, but the newer addition that is supposed to have more recipes. Next up I think is some rye bread to go with pastrami.

Rowlett, Texas