Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket success

Options
Today I finally got one right. Good bark, moist, and tender. imageimageimage
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• jccbone62
    Options
    Looking good there.  How many did you do before you got it right?  Either way, nice job.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    jccbone62 said:
    Looking good there.  How many did you do before you got it right?  Either way, nice job.

This was only my second one on the BGE. The first was dry and crumbly. I changed up a couple things which seemed to make a difference. I have a couple other ideas to try next time that might just put it over the top. My son told me it was the best he's had, but he's only 25. Lol
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • lombard
    Options
    How about some details on the cook?  Changes you made, changes you're thinking of making...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Feels good, doesn't it?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    lombard said:
    How about some details on the cook?  Changes you made, changes you're thinking of making...

These are some things I did differently: 1) I increased my cooking temp to about 240 and it only took 13 hrs to finish. Last time I did 215 and it took almost 18 hours; 2) this time I carved most of the fat off the brisket before coating it with rub. Last time I left most of it on. I think this increased bark and flavor; 3). This time I foil wrapped it for the final two hours of the cook. Last time I just let it ride naked the whole time; 4) this time I was more patient in the final stages of the cook, by checking tenderness at 200, 205, and 207. A big change occurred during this time frame. 5) next time I'm going to buy a choice or prime cut. The past two have been select. 6) next time I'm going reduce FTC time to about 3 hours. This time time I let it go for close to five hours, because it got done quicker than I thought.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • porta
    porta Posts: 88
    Options
    Well done! If we got it perfect every time this would be a dying business. The fun part is trial and error. I know I speak for everyone on this forum when I say "we are our own worst critics". Even when I think I nailed it and there is no way I can top it, I do it differently the next time. haha. (But I do document the results/recipe :) )
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks really good but you should proably send me some just to make sure. :))

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks good from here!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Great feedback. I just love cooking on the egg. It's an adventure every time.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    henapple said:
    Feels good, doesn't it?

yes!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Looks very good.  Where did you get your brisky?  They have rather pricey down here.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Looks very good.  Where did you get your brisky?  They have rather pricey down here.

I bought this one at Randall's on Brodie lane about two months ago. It was a select cut on sale foe 1.48 per pound. I bought two. Cooked one immediately and froze this one.
    Dave - Austin, TX