Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook...tri-tip. Not quite there.

Options
lombard
lombard Posts: 23
So, made my first attempt on the egg.  Close, but no cigar.

Dry rubbed it with a friend's tri tip rub recipe (salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic, oregano, basil).  Did an indirect cook at 325 deg dome temp until internal temp reached 130.  Then did a reverse sear...dome temp @ 500, 5 minutes each side, with a splash of red wine vinegar for each side.

Turned out OK, but came out around medium or medium well.  Next time, I'll try indirect until 125 internal temp, and probably about 3 minutes each side for the sear.

Aside from being a bit over done, it was fantastic!  Juicy, tender, and not overly charred like it gets when I cook it on my gas grill.  I guess there may be something to this whole BGE thing.

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Yeah, I would say the sear was a tad on the long side.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Reverse seared tri-tip is a favorite of mine.  I slow roast mine at 250f to an internal temp of 127f, about 45 minutes and then sear about 90 seconds to 2 minutes per side for medium rare.   (full details:  http://www.nibblemethis.com/2013/11/reverse-seared-tri-tip-and-thermoworks.html)

I like the rub you used, sounds like it would be good with tri-tip.  Seems like you are off to a great start.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Sandi_k
    Options
    This is how we do ours (sear first, tent, then cook at lower temp to finish):

1 4 lb tri tip

Remove the beef from the fridge; bag and place in warm water in the sink to bring down to room temp.

Get the BGE up to 500 degrees.

Place the beef on the grill, and sear for 4 minutes on each side.

Remove from grill, and tent in pan while reducing heat to 350.

Cook for an additional 12 minutes; check temperature. Flip to second side and continue cooking if internal temp is not yet sufficient.

For medium rare, pull at 125 degrees; for medium well, pull at 140.
  • lombard
    Options
    Gave it another go this evening.  Getting better.  Same rub as last time.

This time I cooked indirect with a dome temp of 300º.  Pulled it when the internal temp hit 120º, tented it in aluminum foil.

Pulled the plate setter, and let the dome temp get to 500º.  Threw it back on and seared it on each side for 3 minutes.

Still a bit overdone.  Think I need to do a 90 second sear on each side.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Just did a reverse sear today. 120 I pulled just like u did. Also brought it up to 500 degrees. I only seared for 1 min per side. When all was said and done it came off at 135. Perfect in my opinion.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Hey @lombard, that doesn't look over done, in fact it looks darn near perfect. Not sure how much tri-tip experience you have, but the key to tenderness is cutting against the grain, and the slicing angle looks like it might be slightly with the grain. Tough to tell from a pic, but slicing these guys can be a challenge. Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It looks slightly overdone but the slicing angle is wrong. The cut looks like a boomerang you start slicing along the single point end. Looks like the slicing is about 20 degrees off.
  • lombard
    Options
    Good call on the cutting direction.  Not sure what the heck I was thinking, but the first two slices were correct (and were immediately consumed by yours truly), then I somehow ended up with the angle shown in the pic.  Right after the pic was taken I adjusted and got it right for the rest of it, though I ended up with some odd sized slices.

Luckily it is still at least a little cross-grain.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited December 2013
    Options
    @ lombard  Remember the grain runs in two different directions. Sometimes after the cook as the tri-tip plumps up it's had to tell which way the grain is running. Before cooking, I cut a 1/2" deep slice across the tip grain to see my cutting angle, also a 1/2" deep cut where the grain changes. I separate at this cut after the cook to get the proper angle on that piece.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • lombard
    Options
    I like to throw mine on steak rolls for a little sandwich action, so I like long slices.  So I usually start at the tip of the "boomerang" and go cross ways.  Doesn't get both parts perfectly perpendicular to their grain, but close enough the it's all cross grain, more or less.  Just kind of lost my way on this one.