Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Wood - Dry or Green?

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
My neighbour cut down an apple tree yesterday and showed up today with a truck full of apple, all cut and split. There must be a good cord of it. Is it best to let it season for a while or just start using it as is? It's obviously quite damp now but I'm sure it's gonna dry well over the winter. I'm gonna cut it into chunks as needed, maybe an inch or two thick and toss it on the egg.
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• revolver1
    Options
    Not now, it needs to dry first and I'm not sure how long that takes.  Maybe as long as a year.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I have used pecan fresh from the tree in my yard and so has my neighbor.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    The place where I get my chunks from says that Fruit wood should be uses fresh cuts for maximum flavor and that hard woods and woods from nuts should not be used fresh.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I'd use it now.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    For smoking, I would use it now and in the future.  I have pulled apple from my wood pile when needed.  When wood dries, most of what it loses is water which adds nothing flavor wise.  Green wood will burn a bit longer.

For fireplace I would not mess with it until it is dry
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @cookinbob said it best. I absolutely agree.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Thanks all. Figured that there was no reason not to use it now since it should smoke more green but thought madybe it would be too much and acrid. Will be using it in small chunks anyway. Will try a pork shoulder in a week or so and see.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Green works, I use the trimmings cut with a pruner, slice a 2" branch up into 1" slices and they dry in a day or two. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!