Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Suckling Pig (with pics)

MGOBlueMGOBlue Posts: 12
Here it is!  I was a bit disappointed as it is only about 13lbs but we'll see how it goes.  I'll try to post more later as I get it going. 

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,863
    Cute little guy. Look forward to seeing the cook.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • What are the dimensions of the 13 pounder? I did an 18lb about 7yrs ago but I had to do it on the Weber kettle as it was too big for my BGE. I still turned out great and people still talk about it. Are you using an injection? Wet marinade? How long and what temp? Looking forward to seeing the pics. Good luck!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Looks perfect! Looking forward to seeing this one
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,431
    Good luck! I'm sure it will be fantastic!
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 3,722
    Looks like you shot it in the head.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I didn't shoot it but the head does have damage. I just seasoned the cavity with the basics and gonna smoke it at 225 till it hits 185. It's 19" sitting on the roasting rack.
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 3,722
    Looking forward to some finished pics.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• She's on!
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Awesome. I'm pretty sure I talked my wife into one of these plus a ham for Christmas. The guy said they're usually closer to 20 pounds when he gets that. I'll have to get fancy with putting it on I guess.
    Dunedin, FL
  • lakewadelakewade Posts: 380
    Tin foil on ears?  

Looks awesome!  Been wanting to do one of these too!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Thermopen has it at 164
  • looking good.  Go for the cheeks..yum
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • Good luck with that pig keep the photos coming
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,464
    You guys have me obsessed with this cook. I can't wait to find one to do myself.
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • MGOBlueMGOBlue Posts: 12
    edited December 2013
    Here is the finished product!  It fell apart and the skin peeled right off.  Cook time was about 5 hours at 225. It rested in the cooler for about 45 minutes.  Didn't yield a ton of pork but man was it good! 
    pig.JPG 141.6K
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,917
    edited December 2013
    MGOBlue said:
    Here is the finsihed product!  I fell apart and the skin peeled right off.  I took about 5 hours at 225.  Didn't yield a ton of pork but man was it good! 
    Yes, it can be quite an emotional experience!  ;)

Looks great.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• MGOBlueMGOBlue Posts: 12
    edited December 2013

1310 Monster-

I bought it from a meat processor that also has a hog farm.  It was about 13 lbs ready to cook when I picked it up.  It had a USDA stamp on the rear.  We looked online but the prices were about $175 shipped.  I made several calls before I could track this one down.  I'll do it again, I just hope to find one closer to 20-25lbs.