Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Bday present was an Egg!

2»

Comments

• just to be sure, you said it was made in the us by Thermoworks ...
    i googled on where to buy thermapen and found this

http://thermapen.co.uk/2-thermapen-thermometers

it's not the one you guys mean then ?
    New to the Eggworld from Antwerpen - Belgium
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    You're at the right spot.  They are in fact made in the UK.  Welcome and congrats on having GREAT friends that would be awesome enough to buy you an egg for your birthday.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That's the one. Also, using a thermometer won't have any discernable effect on the moisture in the meat.
  • Azzardi
    Azzardi Posts: 56
    edited December 2013
    ok, maybe one last question, i see different types of the Thermapen on the site, wich one will suffice you think ?

Sorry for all the questions, but like i said, i never ever used one before :D

ps: My grammar is not the best out there as well lol
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Superfast Thermapen Thermometer

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The red ones are the fastest.

(it's a running joke of sorts where people claim whatever color they own to be the fastest).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I just ordered one, (red lol) was 78 euro's including shipping to belgium. not cheap but hey, quality comes with a price !
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    @Azzardi,
    Welcome, Thermapen is manufactured by ETI in UK, they have a distributor in Belgium:
    @Azzardi did you order from this Belgium distributor?

ETI thermometers Belgium
    Belgium

ETI thermometers Belgium

BERCU NV
    Noordschippersdok 13
    B-2060 Antwerpen
    BELGIUM
    tel: 00 32 3 225 3273
    fax: 00 32 3 234 1849
    email: ejb@bercu.be

canuckland
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Welcome and congrats on the small egg. I love making pizzas on my small BGE and I use the big green egg small / medium stone and it works perfect. Mobile Pizza Party with the SBGE I use it with the Ceramic Grill Store Small Woo and some fire bricks to raise up the pizza stone, It would probably be easier to get the platesetter to use your egg indirectly. 

The thermapen which most of us have is part of the reason for the success of the egg. Most of us are now cooking to temperature instead of time so everything is cooked closer to perfect and turns out much better. 

This site as well as NakedWhiz.com are great resources for tips, tricks, and recipes. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

• @Azzardi,
    Welcome, Thermapen is manufactured by ETI in UK, they have a distributor in Belgium:

@Azzardi did you order from this Belgium distributor?

ETI thermometers Belgium
    Belgium

ETI thermometers Belgium

BERCU NV
    Noordschippersdok 13
    B-2060 Antwerpen
    BELGIUM
    tel: 00 32 3 225 3273
    fax: 00 32 3 234 1849
    email: ejb@bercu.be

Hey canugg, i looked them up but they dont actually have a shop i think so i directly ordered it through the company's webshop. I think they are more a compagny where u can buy when u have a company of your own, not a single thermometer... But thanks for your info and advice man, i appreciate it !
  • Solson005 said:

Welcome and congrats on the small egg. I love making pizzas on my small BGE and I use the big green egg small / medium stone and it works perfect. Mobile Pizza Party with the SBGE I use it with the Ceramic Grill Store Small Woo and some fire bricks to raise up the pizza stone, It would probably be easier to get the platesetter to use your egg indirectly. 

The thermapen which most of us have is part of the reason for the success of the egg. Most of us are now cooking to temperature instead of time so everything is cooked closer to perfect and turns out much better. 

This site as well as NakedWhiz.com are great resources for tips, tricks, and recipes. 
    Hey thanks for the site info, will take a look there! It's nice to know that you can make perfect pizza on the small egg. May i ask how you prepare your doug since thats one of the most important things of a good pizza, i like my doug very thin and crispy. I plan to buying a pizza plank? To slide the pizza onto the pre-heated stone i'v seen a youtube video that said it's something u'll need.
  • Solson005
    The dough recipe I like the best is Jamie Oliver's here are the recipes by Weight or by Volume. I like to use semolina and 00 flour like he talks about, but it is good with bread or ap flour as well. A wooden pizza peel is highly recommended the only thing is you have to be quick because if it is left on the peel too long it will tend to stick and not want to slide off. Some eggheads here use parchment paper cut to the size of the pizza to transfer it to the stone. Some use pizza screens. I use a Super Peel but it might be pricey getting it to you. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I ll look it up, they got big shops here who sell everything for restaurants etc, they might have some kind of peel over there .. Why is wood better then steel? For sticking ?
  • Solson005
    Yes for sticking. I have seen people use metal ones on tv so it can be done, but might be tricky while starting out. 
  • I have another question;

Does the fairy wheel (or how do you call it) always stay in his place when u open your egg ? I'm scared that it might fall off .. Or is there a special way/direction how to put it on? Thx
  • There is a post on the Naked Whiz site about how best to orient the DFMT. Align the pivot bolt so when the lid is open it doesn't shift.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • I be-leave one of the first thing you will need is the plate setter for cooking indirect I could not do with out mine, and good luck

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen