Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Flavor?

I spatchcocked 2 chickens for the first time on the egg tonight.  I rested it uncovered overnight and them rubbed it with Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple prior to cooking.  This was, by far, the most moist chicken that I have ever cooked and the skin was perfect.  The wings and dark meat were wonderfully flavorful.  However, the breasts did not have much flavor.  What do you guys suggest?  Should I brine them next time?  Should I inject them?

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Did you season only the skin? I will loosen the skin from the breast and put the rub on the meat and the skin. I noticed a big difference the first time I did this. I haven't ever brined so I can't comment on how much that would help

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    I can't help ya on the chook but...wait for it...

WAR EAGLE BABY!!!
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I also carefully lift the skin and apply  the rub and replace the skin. I think i makes a big difference in flavor.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • CP92 said:
    I can't help ya on the chook but...wait for it...

WAR EAGLE BABY!!!
    WDE!!!
  • I only seasoned the skin.  I will try seasoning the meat as well next time.  Thanks guys!
  • Compound butter under the skin. Only way I go anymore.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    After loostening the skin with your finger, use a long ice tea spoon to put rub on the breast meat.  Then take your fingers and spread it around.  Plowboy's "Yardbird" is my favorite. It's amazing how much flavor the breast meat will absorb.   Did the same thing with two whole ducks I smoked on the Egg this thanksgiving.  Duck skin is MUCH harder to loosen.  I had to use a long, flexible fillet knife between the skin and meat.  Keep the blade pressed firmly against the meat to avoid poking it through the skin.  (Though I later perforate it with the Thermapen probe to allow the fat to escape).  
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Season it before you let it sit in the fridge overnight. The salts in the rub will act as a dry brine and you won't have any complaints about flavor.   

I never mess with the skin. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!!
  • In addition to seasoning under the skin, I will sometimes slip some thin lime slices under the skin for added flavor. If you looked carefully you can see the round shapes in the breasts and thighs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Another trick my wife and son have been using is duck fat on the skin before the cook. Just a little extra perfection to the task.
  • Cut a bunch of slices in them and stuff whole garlic cloves in the holes. Also shove some sprigs of fresh rosemary sprigs under the skin
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg